Menu

I need some info on parvo please

So, you know we have this little tiny puppy. He's had one set of shots and is due for his 2nd set next week. He is adorable, and we are smitten.

I have talked to a couple of people, and they have me nervous about even taking him out to pee for fear of parvo. We've been taking him outside to potty, and he's doing really well with it. That's what we want to continue. But is it safe? As far as we know, no dog has ever been in our yard that has had parvo, and we've lived here 12 years.

And then there's the issue of taking him out in public. We are in the process of changing vets, and a lady at one office told me that people can carry parvo to puppies. Is that true??? Is it not okay to take him places? What about the groomer? I was thinking about taking him to Petsmart to try on sweaters this weekend (I am ridiculous, I know). I could research online, but you guys are quicker and usually more knowledgeable. :D

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

When are puppies had parvo a few months ago, the vet told me it can live in the soil for a LONG time. We'd moved to a new house in the country. They would go for runs but never out of our sight and we'd never seen other animals on our property. In the end, they both survived after an expensive hospital stay.

If it were me, having seen how sick our puppies were, I'd be pretty careful about taking the puppy to places where other animals have been, at least until you get that next round of shots. Are you letting the puppy out in your own fenced yard? If so, he's probably ok.

He's almost in the clear-make sure you do a series of at least three, maybe four on the vax.

I never take my dogs anywhere that a lot of dogs go, like dog parks, petsmart, ect-it's like taking a kid to daycare, you just don't know what they can pick up! But lots of people do and have no problems, it's just a thing with me. With a pup that hasn't been through his full first series though I never would, ever.

I wouldn't worry about him TOO much, keep him in your yard and don't let him run around on the floor at petsmart, keep him in a clean environment as much as you can, don't let a lot of other people, like the checkers at petsmart, touch him or handle him.

It's nervewracking, just keep him in a little germ bubble until he's done with the vax series and then you relax a bit. Honestly I wouldn't take him anywhere until the vax were done. He doesn't need to go to the groomer or Petsmart that bad!

We were told by our breeder to wait on public places like PetSmart and the dog park until the last round of shots + 1 week. I can be careful with that but when puppy's gotta go, he's goin' outside! We will be taking him places and meeting friends whose dogs are fully vaccinated so puppy gets his socialization. It sure is easy to get worried though.

Eta: all of the puppies from our guy's litter got coccidia and the vet guessed it was from the mama going out in the yard and stepping somewhere that a raccoon or other animal had eliminated, so there is validity to your concerns.

Edited by Alenee

I carried all dogs everywhere until they were fully immunized. Miss Good's best friend lost an entire litter to it when her SIL (a vet tech) brought it over on her shoes.

Years later, she had another litter of puppies and they got it too. The vet said it could have been in the soil or her wood floors.

I carried Aidan everywhere until 2 weeks after his last set of shots. Even at the vet, I made sure the tech cleaned the exam table in front of me before I would set Aidan on it. Same with the groomer's table.

:iagree: This is what I did with my dog last year when he was a puppy. I was very nervous about parvo, as a friend off mine had just lost her dog to it.