Menu

Need book recommendations for several early-American history topics/people:

Please recommend reading books for these topics that would be especially interesting for a 7th grade boy. They will supplement early-Am. history:

• Before Columbus
  • The Mayflower Compact
  • George Washington
  • Lewis and Clark
  • Native American Tribes
  • The Civil War

I am not really looking for historical fiction. I would rather have stories based on truth...written in an engaging way. I'm planning for ds to read these books and to write summaries per TWTM.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this is the reading/difficulty level you are looking for, but my ds likes the Foster books. Christopher Columbus' World, George Washington's World, and Abraham Lincoln's World would cover much of what you listed. My ds is in 6th and reads these for fun(history lover), but they are pretty easy for him. I also am looking at a Book called Before Columbus by Charles Mann about pre-Columbus America. This book is for children, but it's based on a book he wrote for adults called 1491. I don't have specifics about these yet, but you might check into them. HTH!

Before Columbus - The First Americans, Before Columbus, Who Was First? Discovering the Americas, Prehistoric America (Landmark), Mammoth Bones and Broken Stones

George Washington - King George: What Was His Problem, George Washington, Spymaster,

Lewis and Clark - Which Way to the Wild West (covers some L&C and some Native American content), The Lewis and Clark Expedition, Path to the Pacific: The Story of Sacagawea,

If he's really interested Undaunted Courage and The Essential Lewis and Clark.

Native American Tribes - First People, The Real Book About Indians, Indian Gallery: The Story of George Catlin This book is one of my favorites! It covers Catlin's trips through different Native American tribes. If memory serves correctly, Clark was his guide for part of the trip. This biography is jam-packed with interesting American history and details about many different Native American tribes. It will be a "can't miss" for the middle-senior grades for my kids.

The Civil War - Two Miserable Presents, Abraham Lincoln: Friend of the People, Mr. Lincoln's High-Tech War, A Nation Torn: The Story of How the Civil War Began (sequel is Behind the Blue and Gray: The Soldier's Life in the Civil War)

I also second the recommendation of the Foster books.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Please recommend reading books for these topics that would be especially interesting for a 7th grade boy. They will supplement early-Am. history:

• Before Columbus

• The Mayflower Compact

• George Washington

• Lewis and Clark

• Native American Tribes

• The Civil War

I am not really looking for historical fiction. I would rather have stories based on truth...written in an engaging way. I'm planning for ds to read these books and to write summaries per TWTM.

Jean Fritz has some good biographies. One series is more picture book style. The other is chapter books. The Double Life of Pocahontas is one of the longer series.

Guns for General Washington is about Henry Knox bringing the cannons from Fort Ticonderoga for Washington. Not specifically about GW, but related and very good.

Landmark histories and biographies are good. We've also enjoyed the We Were There series. These are history books that add a couple fictional kids into what is otherwise a historical account of the events. The history in them is well researched and we find the stories pretty good.

Struggle for a Continent by Albert Marrin (covers Indians and all of the wars that are generally considered part of the French & Indian Wars--WARNING--This is graphic in its descriptions of how Indians scalped people and the conflicts/violence with the French.)

George Washington and the Founding of a Nation by Albert Marrin

In fact, any of Marrin's books are excellent. He's a fabulous storyteller and includes lots of primary sources from which he has obtained his info for writiing nonfiction books. Check your library; there should be many titles covering the areas you desire.

HTH,

Jennifer

I found a great history book at a library book sale - it is Fritz et. al., called The World in 1492. It has chapters on what is going on in each continent/major region in 1492, on the eve of columbus's journey. I think it would be such a great kick-off to the study of american history, especially for a kid that has gotten SOTW-type exposure to world history. I didn't use it with dd this time around (she's 9) but it looks perfect for a 7th grader.

• Before Columbus

• The Mayflower Compact

• George Washington

• Lewis and Clark

• Native American Tribes

• The Civil War

Before Columbus -- a kids' version of the adult best-seller

http://www.amazon.com/Before-Columbus-Americas-Downtown-Bookworks/dp/1416949003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325610987&sr=8-1

Mayflower Compact -- we have liked other books in these series:

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflower-Compact-Cornerstones-Freedom-Second/dp/0531208397/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325611070&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflower-Compact-People-Exploration-Colonization/dp/0756521246/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325611109&sr=1-4

Native American tribes:

Would the Bobbie Kalman books on various tribes be too young for your dc? They are picture books, but I find them enjoyable & informative. Virginia Driving Hawk also has some wonder picture books of individual tribes

I found a great history book at a library book sale - it is Fritz et. al., called The World in 1492. It has chapters on what is going on in each continent/major region in 1492, on the eve of columbus's journey. I think it would be such a great kick-off to the study of american history, especially for a kid that has gotten SOTW-type exposure to world history. I didn't use it with dd this time around (she's 9) but it looks perfect for a 7th grader.

Oh I'd forgotten this one. We used this when I didn't have a copy of Columbus and Sons available. This really was an interesting book.