Menu

Moving To A New State During School Year

I moved during the year from a few different regulated states. What you do is notify state one that you are moving and no longer homeschooling in that state. Move. Then notify state two that you have moved there and are starting homeschooling. Do whatever needs to be done in state two. At the end of the school year, do any needed notification to state two but nothing to state one. You are no longer homeschooling in state one and are not bound by their laws.

Yes, after you move the only state the matters is the one you're currently living in. Personally, we've never bothered notifying the old state that we're going, but I suppose it would be nice.

Also, if you're moving to a state that requires a portfolio, for example, you shouldn't be responsible to include the portion of the year you weren't living in the state.

Amira said "Personally, we've never bothered notifying the old state that we're going, but I suppose it would be nice. "

I have notified when I was in a medium regulated state that expected something at the end of the year like a test score or teacher report. I never notified in states like CA and NM that only required a once a year registration and no end of year report. VA and FL which did were notified that we had moved and not to expect anything else from us. In Fl, it is a mandatory thing to withdraw from homeschooling if one is registered through the state and if at a private school, they expect it too.

Look at the new state laws and regulations before you move. (HSLDA has the info.)

We moved midyear and our current state had a 14 day reporting/filing requirement whether the move was in or out of state. Every, single state is different.

Happy moving.

How does this work for homeschoolers? I chose how to report to my current state last summer but our potential new state has different requirements. Am I required to report to my old state or new state at the end of the school year?