Menu

Ouch!

Yesterday I overheard one of my daughters tell a friend of her that she thought she liked science until this year.

Ouch!

Now the years before when she was in PS there wasn;t much in the way of science.

But we have been using Prontolessons-biology and anatomy with a few worksheets and we read a few pages in various books about the topic of the week.

The girls have been doing some gardening, we extracted DNA from a banana, we made a jello plant cell and a pizza animal cell. We made a food web/biomes boardgame and an animal skit. I don;t know what else to do to make it more interesting/fun?

What were you doing last year? It's definitely possible to screw up something that was working because you didn't know WHY it was working. Fun is relative, and sometimes the issue is something you're not considering, like that she thinks it's babyish because the 7 and 2 yo are tagging along or something.

I have a similar problem with my DD. We started the year doing a very activity-heavy science book (Holt Physical Science, there is some sort of small activity or lab nearly every day). She HATED it. After a couple months, we switched to a co-op chemistry class that is just theory, no labs (they are in a church basement and cannot do labs safely in the space available). She LOVES it and is one of the top students in the class. I think there are two factors here - my daughter is VERY social and she has NEVER been a hands-on kind of girl, never liked crafts or art or even coloring. So, the previous program was jarring against a big dislike of hers, and the co-op drops that dislike and adds a big like :-) The material covered is not that different, just the presentation. Maybe your daughter is having some sort of similar issue?

You mention a lot of hands-on projects. Is that the best way for your DD to learn?

My kids would run away screaming if I came with activities like this. It would make them hate science, they much prefer a no-nonsense text approach, without any "fun" projects. When they were in 5th and7th grade and I wanted to do the jello cell, they both groaned and asked why they could not simply read about it in a book.

Edited by regentrude

stuff...that she can do perhaps....

She liked the DNA extraction and the cell projects...

She doesn;t like the reading or listening to me read or lecture. But I feel like i need to give some background as to what on earth we are doing and why we are doing it and what to expect blah blah.

maybe it is because she hasn;t had any science in PS and that is why she has nothing to compare it to. With all the other subjects she has experienced what it is like in school and of course homeschooling curriculum is a bit more tailored. Maybe it is because she is bored with Life Science.

Maybe she is more of a physics/physical science person. She likes to build things and watch things explode kind of girl. Maybe I should do a dissection. She would definitely like that. But it is too late to order that for the Christmas vacation I gather.

In terms of reading a book about science stuff-yes we have been borrowing science books from the library and reading them. It is not exciting her apparently. Maybe I should just give her a science textbook and have her work out of it. Then she might appreciate the little hands on we do.

I think I figured it out: SHE LIKES GAMES!

Edited by happycc