Menu

Astrid or Asta? The one who knows DOGS?

I can't remember...your names get scrambled in my mind! I'm looking to buy a German Shepherd puppy but there are SOOOO many listings for them in the paper. How do I narrow them down? I like that some say I can meet both parents. But what about hip/elbow health? What should I be leery of when talking with owners? What questions should I ask? Any tips you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I used to raise GSDs *many* years ago. I'm kinda sorta in the market myself for a new puppy so here's what I'm looking for.

I don't want a backyard breeder. I do want someone who has some show experience, preferably for me, obedience and protection work.

Personally, I want some German bloodlines. These days I don't need a 'show' quality dog, but because I used to show, I appreciate a beautiful, classic dog. So I want quality.

I want parents with good hips and a certificate that says so. Even more so, I want parents with good temperments. Not fearful, not aggressive. Friendly, confident, and bold. Trainable.

I've googled GSD and my city or county to see what breeders pop up with websites. Anyone can have a website, but it might also give you an idea of who to go visit.

Also, I've googled GSD clubs in my city. I've been to a few local meetings. That's where you find people devoted to the breed.

When I visit, I want to see clean, healthy adults and puppies with good solid bone, clear eyes, and glossy coats. I would like to see adults living in the home, not a kennel out back. I'd love to see an environment rich with experiences. For example, when I raised puppies we lived on a ranch. My pups were exposed to little kids, cats, horses, cattle, pick-ups and even airplanes since we had a spraying service. Lots of socialization. ;)

I would like to find a breeder with a health guarantee...

Does this help?

My puppy fever is rising! Hope you find a wonderful pup to add to your family!

Meeting both parents could mean that the breeder specifically bought a dog to match the female. Or it could mean that they have a male and female, so they might as well breed them.

What I meant was that I like that I can do that with some of the listings so I can get an idea of temperament. But is that just fluff? Are there more important ways of narrowing the field?

This DOES help, Happy. Thank you!

I used to raise GSDs *many* years ago. I'm kinda sorta in the market myself for a new puppy so here's what I'm looking for.

I don't want a backyard breeder. I do want someone who has some show experience, preferably for me, obedience and protection work.

Personally, I want some German bloodlines. These days I don't need a 'show' quality dog, but because I used to show, I appreciate a beautiful, classic dog. So I want quality.

I want parents with good hips and a certificate that says so. Even more so, I want parents with good temperments. Not fearful, not aggressive. Friendly, confident, and bold. Trainable.

I've googled GSD and my city or county to see what breeders pop up with websites. Anyone can have a website, but it might also give you an idea of who to go visit.

Also, I've googled GSD clubs in my city. I've been to a few local meetings. That's where you find people devoted to the breed.

When I visit, I want to see clean, healthy adults and puppies with good solid bone, clear eyes, and glossy coats. I would like to see adults living in the home, not a kennel out back. I'd love to see an environment rich with experiences. For example, when I raised puppies we lived on a ranch. My pups were exposed to little kids, cats, horses, cattle, pick-ups and even airplanes since we had a spraying service. Lots of socialization. ;)

Does this help?

Does this help?

Hi there!

I agree with what Happy has posted, and will add this:

1. Ask for the OFA # for both parents. OFA = Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, and any breeder worth speaking to will be intimately familiar with both OFA and PennHip testing. Ask to see not only scores for the parents, but also going back several generations. When you know the registered name of the parents, you can look here for health clearances: http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/chicinfo.html If the breeding stock is not listed, ask why. And then hang up the phone. If health clearances are not listed, then there's something to hide.

2. Speaking of pedigrees, stock should be registered with the AKC or at the very least UKC. If the papers say CKC or anything else, run far, far away. Those are "registries" set up to cater to puppy millers. Run. Away. Don't Look Back.

3. TEMPERAMENT, TEMPERAMENT, TEMPERAMENT. The GSD breed as it exists in the United States has been, in my opinion, ruined over the past few decades both physically and mentally. Yes, I mean ruined. Strong word, I agree, and not one I use lightly. But I do mean ruined. What was once a strong, affable, capable, utility companion has been reduced to a simpering, shy, schizo dog which is so far down on its pasterns it can't walk, let alone work. Mentally unstable, shy, flighty....oh, I could go on and on. That isn't to say that you can't find a sane, stable, structurally sound GSD, but the chances are slim you'll find one looking at show breeders, and just about zero that you'll find one in the newspaper. German working lines. A breeder like this: http://workinggermanshepherd.com/ Molly Graf raises wonderful GSDs. Her pedigrees are available, and health is transparent. THIS is the kind of breeder you want to find. Her dogs mostly go to working homes, Schutzhund, etc., but they are SANE and CAPABLE. I've known several, and my friend owns "Banshee," an "Eagle" daughter. Great dog.

You may say that you don't want a working dog, just a pet. But you want a SANE pet. One you don't have to worry about being a fear biter or worse. One that will stay healthy and orthopedically sound well into old age. THAT is the kind of GSD you want.

Apologies to those of you who disagree. As a trainer and breed/performance competitor, I've seen more GSDs that I wouldn't give you five cents for, let alone agree should be producing litters themselves, and yet they are. It's sad what has happened to this breed. It's not my opinion alone-- it's a common topic of conversation and consensus among dog folk.

Anyway, those are my two cents, for what they're worth. Betcha you're sorry you asked! :-) Feel free to ask if you want to know more!

Now all this puppy talk is getting to me! If my "puppy" wasn't a knuckleheaded adolescent right now I"d be sorely tempted....

astrid

Hi there!

I agree with what Happy has posted, and will add this:

1. Ask for the OFA # for both parents. OFA = Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, and any breeder worth speaking to will be intimately familiar with both OFA and PennHip testing. Ask to see not only scores for the parents, but also going back several generations. When you know the registered name of the parents, you can look here for health clearances: http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/chicinfo.html If the breeding stock is not listed, ask why. And then hang up the phone. If health clearances are not listed, then there's something to hide.

2. Speaking of pedigrees, stock should be registered with the AKC or at the very least UKC. If the papers say CKC or anything else, run far, far away. Those are "registries" set up to cater to puppy millers. Run. Away. Don't Look Back.

3. TEMPERAMENT, TEMPERAMENT, TEMPERAMENT. The GSD breed as it exists in the United States has been, in my opinion, ruined over the past few decades both physically and mentally. Yes, I mean ruined. Strong word, I agree, and not one I use lightly. But I do mean ruined. What was once a strong, affable, capable, utility companion has been reduced to a simpering, shy, schizo dog which is so far down on its pasterns it can't walk, let alone work. Mentally unstable, shy, flighty....oh, I could go on and on. That isn't to say that you can't find a sane, stable, structurally sound GSD, but the chances are slim you'll find one looking at show breeders, and just about zero that you'll find one in the newspaper. German working lines. A breeder like this: http://workinggermanshepherd.com/ Molly Graf raises wonderful GSDs. Her pedigrees are available, and health is transparent. THIS is the kind of breeder you want to find. Her dogs mostly go to working homes, Schutzhund, etc., but they are SANE and CAPABLE. I've known several, and my friend owns "Banshee," an "Eagle" daughter. Great dog.

You may say that you don't want a working dog, just a pet. But you want a SANE pet. One you don't have to worry about being a fear biter or worse. One that will stay healthy and orthopedically sound well into old age. THAT is the kind of GSD you want.

Apologies to those of you who disagree. As a trainer and breed/performance competitor, I've seen more GSDs that I wouldn't give you five cents for, let alone agree should be producing litters themselves, and yet they are. It's sad what has happened to this breed. It's not my opinion alone-- it's a common topic of conversation and consensus among dog folk.

Anyway, those are my two cents, for what they're worth. Betcha you're sorry you asked! :-) Feel free to ask if you want to know more!

Now all this puppy talk is getting to me! If my "puppy" wasn't a knuckleheaded adolescent right now I"d be sorely tempted....

astrid

Just wanted to chime in that I agree, agree, agree with astrid about how American show people have hurt the breed. That's why I look for working bloodlines with a healthy dose of German in them. Better minds, better temperment.

Maybe it's just the folks I'm hanging out with of late, but I do see a return or an attempt at returning to the great minds/temperment/health of old. Some fine responsible breeders never quit doing that. More seem to care these days about the working aspect of the breed.

Just wanted to chime in that I agree, agree, agree with astrid about how American show people have hurt the breed. That's why I look for working bloodlines with a healthy dose of German in them. Better minds, better temperment.

Maybe it's just the folks I'm hanging out with of late, but I do see a return or an attempt at returning to the great minds/temperment/health of old. Some fine responsible breeders never quit doing that. More seem to care these days about the working aspect of the breed.

I am cautiously optimistic as well, Happy. It's true that some fine old responsible breeders never quit striving for sound minds and bodies, but unfortunately, the over-angulated ninnies are the ones that started winning in the ring. "Hatter" winning BIS (Best in Show) at Westminster really started the rapid downward slide, I think.

Good luck in your quest for a puppy! Great ones are out there, and when you find one, they're so worth the effort it took to find them!

astrid

I am cautiously optimistic as well, Happy. It's true that some fine old responsible breeders never quit striving for sound minds and bodies, but unfortunately, the over-angulated ninnies are the ones that started winning in the ring. "Hatter" winning BIS (Best in Show) at Westminster really started the rapid downward slide, I think.

Good luck in your quest for a puppy! Great ones are out there, and when you find one, they're so worth the effort it took to find them!

astrid

I remember Hatter. ;) It started before him with Bear. Sundance Kid, if I remember right. EVERY one seemed to breed to Bear. I ended up with a sweet gal that turned out to be so very overbred on Bear lines that she had a bleeding disorder. Think overbred Russian royalty. :D I wouldn't have purchased her, but someone gave her to me. She only lived to be about 18 months old before bleeding to death internally.

I decided then and there that finding good Bear free American lines or importing from Germany was too rich for my blood and I quit breeding.

I did some herding work with my dogs. The German bred girl I had did not possess good angles on her hindquarters (very much pet quality), but she had buckets of natural herding and protection abilities. And smart. My favorite dog EVER. The sweet Bear gal referenced above had a smidgen of herding instinct, but, oh my, those hind quarter angles made her able to pivot on a dime. It was fun to watch.

I've gotta go take an aspirin now. My puppy fever is raging....