Menu

Need suggestions to make tree decorating festive today.

We are decorating our tree today. My kids continue to say "it doesn't seem like Christmas." My kids are teens, not particularly helpful in the "I have a great idea!" department. I don't believe they are complaining; rather, I think they are expressing an honest wish for something more, which I'd like to realize.

I'm making baked potato skins because I thought they sounded good.

We will have hot chocolate and listen to Christmas music.

I can easily run to the store.

No one wants photos taken.

I have no plans for dinner, but I need to keep dh's idea of a dinner meal in mind. (Meaning he will not be satisfied with just baked potato appetizers;).)

Ideas? Suggestions?

Christmas DVD?

More snack foods?

We always wait until evening to decorate our tree. We turn down the lights in the house so that the tree sparkles while we're decorating. We play music or put on a holiday movie we all know well. We put out a dinner made up of snack foods and chat while we work.

We collect ornaments each year, from whatever places we visited. Each kid also gets two new ornaments every year, one they pick out to buy and another that I make for them. So, we enjoy looking at the ornaments as we decorate and remember when we got each one.

Would your kids enjoy going out and getting a new ornament to hang?

We always wait until evening to decorate our tree. We turn down the lights in the house so that the tree sparkles while we're decorating. We play music or put on a holiday movie we all know well. We put out a dinner made up of snack foods and chat while we work.

Jenny, you totally inspired me. After reading your post, I went to Michael's and found the heavy Christmas paper I was looking for in my "where to find this paper" thread. All scrapping things were ~50% off, so I even bought a circle cutter. (Not typical of me at all!)

I went to the grocery store, and along with our potato skins for dinner, we'll have a mexican/bean dip, and taquitos. I also bought Constant Comment Tea and peppermint ice cream.

We'll wait until evening, snack and decorate then.

My kids BETTER have a good time, lol!

:D

It was lovely. We ate our appetizers before decorating (no greasy hands on the ornaments!). While we decorated, my kids chose to turn on Andrew Zimmern, and we watched/listened to him eat his way through Cambodia and then Syria.

We had a fire in the fireplace and got the place burning hot. The kids drank their tea anyway.

No spiced wine. I was boring and had low sugar koolaid, haha.

Dh has to hang a few of his ornaments (he hung out nearby) and then dump tinsel all over the tree.

Kids came back in later to watch Monk and eat peppermint ice cream.

We didn't have time to make the paper ornaments, but I'll force more good cheer on them later this week.:D

I'm very conscious of the fact that dd is a junior. She won't have too many more of these tree decorating nights at home!

Thank you for asking!

ETA: Since they didn't want pics taken, I had them take pics of me. (ugh!)

Just before 13yods went to bed, he specifically came out to thank me for an awesome evening. Yippee!

Edited by ThisIsTheDay