Menu

Do you ever question "ages & stages" in WTM?

Sahamamama

Not the one mentioned about Victoria, but one that left us astounded by the intense quality of education was Twice Queen of France: Anne of Brittany

http://www.amazon.com/Twice-Queen-France-Anne-Brittany/dp/B0007E2A66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323127370&sr=8-1

I know the description below says teens, but I read it aloud to 3rd and 6th graders last yr and it was one of their favorites of the yr.

A biography for teens of a strong, independent woman of the 15th century.

Anne of Brittany was only 12 when, in 1488, she became its Duchess, but already she was among the best-educated women of her era and she was determined to preserve the duchy's independence. At 15 she averted takeover by France when she married its king, Charles VIII, and after he died she married his successor, Louis XII, becoming the only person ever twice crowned Queen of France.

Kelly, what is the book called? I watched "young victoria" last night and wanted to read about her after watching it.

Great movie!

Let's not forget Queen Elizabeth who spoke 6 languages and had a hefty education. (I just watched Elizabeth last night with Cate Blanchett. Love that movie!)

Regardless of the classical education of these fine European women, I am still not convinced it is the route to take with my own dds. I am enjoying this conversation.

:bigear:

I'd be interested too. :bigear:

I was recently talking to my dad about his education. He went to school in England, didn't start until about age 9 - he spent his early years free range in India avoiding wild animals. He was telling me of a highschool assignment (about age 15), translate Homer's Odyssey from Latin into English :eek:, they would race to get it done because the story was so rivetting!

They sure don't do anything like that around here...

My grandmother was educated at a small English village school in the '20's. She went to work for an agricultural firm at 15.

I don't know that they did a lot of translation, but they were reading the Iliad at 11 (not a dumbed-down version) and they regularly put on Shakesperar, and she could quote long passages from him as an elderly woman. She also learned to knit really, really well. They didn't start doing reading and so on until later (6 or 7) either - in the earlier years they attended but did things like the knitting and gardening.