Menu

Switch from Singapore to Saxon? Also not sure NEM, Saxon 8/7 or Algebra 1/2?

ThreeBlessings

I'm considering switching from Singapore to Saxon. We've used Singapore for years and love it. I have found the kids need constant review which leaves me adding in Math Mammoth and other worksheets for review. I do love how Singapore presents Math and I'm afraid I won't like how Saxon does, but I can't find any good samples online. Everyone says Saxon builds in continual review. This would seem to simplify Math for us.

Also I'm not sure if I should choose Singapore 6, NEM 1, Saxon 8/7, or Saxon Algebra 1/2. Before I start any of these the kids will finish going through Singapore 5 and Lial's BCM because I have them. I am getting ready to order from Rainbow Resource now for Christmas and want to order the next Math we'll use now to take advantage of free shipping.

Any advice?

KarenNC- I would have them take the placement tests, but they won't be in the same place now that they will be after finishing Singapore 5 and Lial's Basic College Math, kwim? I'll have to go and look through the contents of BCM and the Saxon 8/7 and Algebra 1/2. I definitely don't want to get too repetitive, boring, or not have them progressing, which is why I don't want Singapore 6 or Saxon 7/6. I'll check out the link, thanks.

NEM 1 is a brisk pace, so I'd suggest doing Singapore 6 first.

And you might wish to consider the Discovering Math program that is also offered from Singapore. It has more guidance and is more like primary series.

I love NEM but some people find they ask students to figure out some concepts too much and find DM a better fit.

DD is going to be starting a combo of Singapore Discovering Math 1 and Horizons Pre-Algebra probably after New Year's. Horizons has the spiral review built-in but it's not quite so extreme a spiral format as Saxon. Also, the Horizons book is much more visually appealing than Saxon.

if u want horizon pre-algebra, I have one for sale :D brand new.

Looking through different program, I will use NEM supplement with AOPS. DS, however, will finishing up 6B maybe around Feb and we gonna spend the rest of the school year finishing CWP/IP 6 before we move into NEM. I heard to many Horror stories about NEM, I want prepare DS good for it

if u want horizon pre-algebra, I have one for sale :D brand new.

Looking through different program, I will use NEM supplement with AOPS. DS, however, will finishing up 6B maybe around Feb and we gonna spend the rest of the school year finishing CWP/IP 6 before we move into NEM. I heard to many Horror stories about NEM, I want prepare DS good for it

Can you please PM me with the details of what you have for sale? Thanks

When my oldest went from Singapore into Saxon, she placed too high in the placement test. Placed into Algebra I as a end of year 6th grader. hmm... She wasn't ready for that. I dropped back to Alg 1/2 and realized that didn't "feel right" after 20 lessons. I can't explain that on the internet very well. It was a combination of factors and "mommy feel".

So, down to Saxon 87 with prealgebra and mfw lesson plans for it. This was a great fit for us because:

it seemed like a nice transition point between programs with scope and sequence so called "gaps"

and gave her amble time to grow up and do saxon more on her own.

She went straight into Alg. I in 8th with no problems. did jacob's Geometry in 9th, and Saxon Alg II currently in 10th. (My dh wanted a full year of proof based Geometry since we didn't know for certain if we'd do Saxon all the way or not.)

second child came along. She got to 5B by end of 6th grade. I skipped placement test and she is doing well in Saxon 87.

I had actually asked the person that was mentioned a few posts back. He thought that Singapore was a weak program and that a child ending in 5B should not do above Saxon 76. confused me on that ;) I didn't think he presented enough reasons to make me change my original decision to go with 87. I'm glad I went with my decision as 87 has been just fine coming out of Singapore 5B with my average student.

So from my 2 kiddos experiences...... take the Saxon placement test. If you feel a child places too high, then scale back a book. ask around, but it's ok to know your child and do what's right for the child.

-crystal

Edited by cbollin
left out key word