Menu

For those who have made sensory boxes, what did you use for a container?

We have made various sensory boxes for dd5 over the years. Peas, beans, birdseed, rice etc. We used a plastic tote. About a year ago, I got rid of her box because she started throwing it everywhere.

I am considering doing another one. This time I am going to make it inside of dd12s old play tent. It has a 4x4 foot print and is fairly tall inside. I need to think of a way to contain the sensory item. Any ideas?

Are you still worried about her throwing the sensory box around? Is there someplace you could attach some kind of box to the wall, so that it can't be thrown? Or are you looking for suggestions that would totally contain the material itself, to make it spillproof?

I'm thinking of a couple of things, but not sure if what I'm thinking is what you are looking for.

You want something that will take up the whole floor space of the tent? A small plastic pool or sandbox seems like it would work. If you don't want it that big and you are just using the tent to help contain the mess, the same size tote you used before would probably be fine.

I want something that will pretty much cover the bottom (s she can sit in it) or possibly be 2 side by side. One thing that she liked about the bird seed was using a strainer to seperate the different sizes of bird seed.

Are you still worried about her throwing the sensory box around? Is there someplace you could attach some kind of box to the wall, so that it can't be thrown? Or are you looking for suggestions that would totally contain the material itself, to make it spillproof?

I'm thinking of a couple of things, but not sure if what I'm thinking is what you are looking for.

She will throw the contents, not the box itself per se. I am hoping the tent will help to contain that aspect.

I want the tent to be separate from the box, so I can clean up easier by lifting it off of the box, or if she is having a fit, I don't have to crawl inside. :glare: