Menu

If your child doesn't like Apologia, what would you use for the

I used A Beka for Science of the Physical Creation (8th grade) and

A Beka Biology (9th grade)

Zumdahl chemistry (9th grade, through a local private school, but would have used the text anyway at home if the private school had not been an option.)

And I highly recommend all those texts.

I will use Giancoli for physics (hopefully through Scholars Online in 11th grade) for two of my sons.

I'll probably use Conceptual Physics for my artsy son through the local private school.

I don't like Apologia either. Science-lover ds did/is doing:

8th - A Beka Biology

9th - Spectrum Chemistry

10th - Conceptual Physics (next year)

11th & 12th - probably Microbiology and other sciences at the cc, or else AP sciences at home using texts recommended by the college board.

Non-sciency ds will do BJU Physical Science in 9th and then A Beka Bio and Spectrum Chem in 10th & 11th.

• 4 weeks later...

All of the following courses, except for genetics, were done at home with lab.

Biology BJUP's current third edition with the youngest. (I didn't like BJUP's second edition, so for the older two children, we used either Apologia or Apologia + A Beka.)

Chemistry Merrill Chemistry for the two oldest children; Zumdahl Introductory Chemistry: A Foundation for the youngest (upcoming year)

Physics: One of the older children did use Apologia but used both Apologia's Physics and Advanced Physics in a single year. The other used A Beka. The youngest isn't there yet.

12th grade: Elective (or no science): a college genetics textbook, used at home. (I have both a bachelor's degree and a doctorate in one of the biological sciences, so we were able to do this at home.)

HTH!

We used BJU Physical Science. This has a very strong lab component IMHO. My dd was fine with the course and especially enjoyed the end of the book when there was more application to real world. Other students we know that used it (co-op class) felt it was quite dry. But, there was a general feeling that it was a success.

We are going to use Prentice Hall Biology (dragonfly book) for the coming year. DH (biology major) likes the set-up of the book much better than BJU Phy Sci. I like that it has lots of ACT like graphs and standardized test review built into the text. You can do it or ignore it. There is a lab book and I am going to be organizing those soon, but the lab book looks pretty good.

Holly in N NV

We're trying Biology in your home and Chemistry in your home this year.

http://www.scienceforhighschool.com

These programs are totally opposite from Apologia as both kids had burned out on the "wordiness" of those texts. They look interesting and both kids are very enthusiastic about the new program. I'll have to report back later and let you know how it is going.

I don't lock myself into any one publisher. We try to pick the best fit/quality for each science course for each student. Some that I like better than Apologia: BJU, Singapore, Campbell's Biology, & Conceptual Physics by Hewitt. Of course, I haven't used all that's available :-)