Menu

Good crafts for kids to make for craft fair?

DD wants to participate in one this Spring, so I'm looking for ideas. She plans to make a bunch of the bottle cap magnet charms that she likes, but I'm open to other ideas that would be reasonable for a just turned 7 yr old with decent fine motor skills and that might actually sell to someone who isn't biologically related to her :).

I've made beaded bookmarks with groups of kids. A beaded bookmark has an inch or so of beads at each end of a piece of twine. The twine is what is actually inside the book.

You need waxed linen twine, beads and charms.

You tie on a charm, add a few beads and then knot. You add some more beads, tie a bead on the end, slide the last set of beads to the end and tie a knot.

There is a bit of finesse in the knotting and hiding the twine ends inside the beads. Picking the beads and charms is fun and adds an artistic element.

We had a homeschool craft fair and all my children worked very hard to make things - can't remember what they all were but a lot of them were very time and skill intensive and ended up not selling well at all.

BUT - my youngest decided to make "goo" (also known as slime) - you combine water, borax and white glue and it turns into a squishy glob of fun. We put about 1/3 cup in tiny gladware containers and she sold them for $1 each. They sold out in about a half hour. Lots of children at the fair had at least $1 to spend on themselves so this was in their budget. We made twice as much goo the next year (and had the good sense this time to pick up glue when it was 25 cents a bottle at Walmart during the Back-to-School sales) and again, it went very, very quickly. Not exactly crafty, but very profitable.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryactivities/ss/slimerecipe.htm

Candles made from beeswax sheets that you roll, Its easy to do and they make a pretty nice item.

Beeswax also looks nice rolled around another candle. I've done that using 10 pack 'emergency' candles from the dollar store. (don't use votive candles, they completely melt so need to be in a cup)