Menu

10yos only likes sports fiction for "fun reading".

LNC

Do you see a problem with that? He read a lot for TQ history for assigned reading. This includes a ton of biographies and historical fiction. I read aloud also many classics. However for his fun reading of his own choosing, he turns up his nose at fantasy. I was the same way as a child, still am! My daughter has a more well rounded reading diet though. His favorite authors are - Matt Christopher (first series he read), Dan Gutman "And Me" series, John Tunis, Robert Lytle's A Pitch in Time, Mike Lupica and Tim Green. He would be thrilled to find another baseball time travel book! He also read Boxcar series when he first learned to read and half of the Sugar Creek Gang before he discovered baseball/sports books.

Do you see a problem with this? Considering he reads historical fiction, science non fiction, bios and I read out loud. My husband just thinks it is amazing he reads so much. Every spare momend is playing outside, except he reads at bedtime. He doesn't touch video/computer games. He loves board games and building sets when it is bad weather. Just wondering what everyone thinks?

DS3 has always been like that. When he was younger, he read baseball fiction. In the last year, he has branched out to include philosophy and logic. He prefers nonfiction, and has collected over 300 books about baseball.

He still thinks most fiction books are a waste of his time to read. He reads them for school, and that is all. I think the last fiction book he read about baseball is Samurai Shortstop, which I bought him as a last ditch effort to get him to read a fiction book.

He also writes extensively about baseball and philosophy, as a main interest, not for school.

I don't have problem with it. It hasn't hurt him one bit. He's learned a lot over the years, not just about baseball, and I've given up trying to broaden his horizons because it did not work.

Do you see a problem with this? Considering he reads historical fiction, science non fiction, bios and I read out loud. My husband just thinks it is amazing he reads so much.

I agree with you and your husband. There are certain things I would not let my kids read even for "fun" reading, but if my kid enjoyed sports fiction, I'd be very good with that.

:001_smile:

Percy Jackson might be worth a try. Maybe read the first chapter to him and see how he responds. One of my dc thought they didn't like certain books...until I read the first chapter or two aloud to get them started.

Some kids needs a little push. Harry Potter is almost always a hit, but for the reluctant, I would read the first 2 chapters aloud. If he doesn't like you snuggling up with him at night, try an audio in the car. It takes a little time for that first book to sink in/make sense for some. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone needs some assist somewhere.

He would also probably enjoy Artemis Fowl by Colfer, although I might start with The Super Naturals (not a series) with him. I was hooked pretty quickly. Some kids really need read alouds. 10 is absolutely *not* too old for that, especially with boys.

I agree that some kids need a push. BUT, if you're requiring reading for schoolwork? You're already giving a little push. I'd leave it alone. My cousin only read sports fiction growing up. As a young adult he has read a ton of books that my me, my sisters and other cousins have recommended. He's had a different experience reading LOTR for the first time as a young adult, but he's read them! :D

Sounds like he reads a pretty good variety for school, so I'd be more than fine with sports fiction for fun reading.

My kids (and myself, actually) often go through prolonged times of focusing on one genre. The only push I have ever given for pleasure reading was to check out intriguing titles and place them on our library shelf with no comment. Sometimes they bite :D