Menu

I'm really curious...HOD vs MFW

Marsha

I don't think MFW does make it entirely as possible as they say they do. In my experience what happened is that the material in Mfw was either too complicated for the youngers to really grasp or too simple for the oldest to really gain from it. In our situation I realized after two years of MFW that I was doing my kids a great disservice by not using material that was suitable for their ages.

We switched to HOD this year and it seems that all my kids are making great strides and enjoying their school work again.

I will admit that our school day was a lot simpler for me when we were running MFW but the trade off has been worth it because I know that everyone is being challenged at their own educational level.

I don't think MFW does make it entirely as possible as they say they do. In my experience what happened is that the material in Mfw was either too complicated for the youngers to really grasp or too simple for the oldest to really gain from it. In our situation I realized after two years of MFW that I was doing my kids a great disservice by not using material that was suitable for their ages.

I thoroughly agree. I think they're trying to encompass an age group that is too wide. As one who has an only, we paid for books that were way too easy and had to paraphrase, way too much.

This isn't to say it doesn't work for some, but I wasted a lot of money on books that weren't in the right age range.

The reason HoD is difficult to combine is that it is constantly building skills all across the curriculum. Each subject contains an assignment such as copywork, narration, written narrations, notebooking, vocabulary, dictionary or research skills, etc, all of which are targeted (both in difficulty and in length) for a specific academic level.

This post contains some links to the author's perspective on the combining question.

How did I use MFW’s resources when Oldest was in logic and Middle was in grammar stage?

I don’t know what made it work all these years for me. It just worked for my teaching style, I guess. I’d start with younger info, let younger child go play. Then did more with older.

Book basket concept helped. And then spending some time with each one of them separately on 3Rs. So "skill subjects" were separate. Content in history - I taught from books provided and didn't worry really if youngest didn't get everything the same way as oldest.

Nowadays Middle Gal is Logic stage. Youngest is separate program for her special needs (history is not a big topic right now!). Even with my middle gal being my only “mfw 5 year cycle†child, I still start with one set of books, add in other parts as needed. Working the second time around too.

I liked the feel of different stages of books. I was teaching from them so I did what my children needed. I felt like each child was getting what she needed.

:grouphug: to original poster as you find best fit.

-crystal