Menu

Best educational/hs games/toys/books for presents for 6&7 year old girls?

momsuz123

I order free catalogs from educational toy companies and try to get ideas from that. I can look up the product and get reviews off the internet and see if its worth the purchase. And if it is, I can research other companies selling it and go with the cheapest option.

A few of my favorites-

Timberdoodle

Young Explorers

Vision Forum - Disclosure- Christian organization but I find many great ideas in this catalog even though we are secular.

Toys to Grow On

They all have links for free catalogs.

One more thing- sometimes I like to leave the catalogs out and the girls love to look them over. I try to pay attention to what catches their attention when they think I am not listening. I never hand them the catalog and say, "what do you like" because then they would point out every.single.item.

But just leaving the catalog around in the view and being observant goes a long way.... :D

Well, here's what I'm getting for my son, who is turning four tomorrow. I figure it can help with reading instruction, to help cement the shapes of the letters in his mind without requiring him to write.

As for 6 and 7-year-olds--my nieces really love their American Girl dolls, though I doubt they're terribly "instructional." On the other hand, making clothes for them, or any other dolls they may already have, would certainly help build useful skills. Have you considered a little sewing machine, perhaps with a book to go along with it? (Here's one all about sewing doll clothes!)

Great, now I'm getting ideas for things to give my nieces... :p

I have a 7 y/o ds and a 3 y/o dd:

Rat-a-tat Cat: the 7 y/o loves it

Snap Circuits: these keep both the 3 y/o and 7 y/o dd busy for long periods of time

Scrambled States: going to be a gift for the 7 y/o so he hasn't played it yet but it seems to get great reviews

Rush Hour Jr: another one that seems to be well-reviewed and not gender specific

Melissa and Doug alphabet stamps

Math balance : both kids like it

Math sticker book: for the older child

Melissa and Doug tanagrams

Art Memo: something we can all play and enjoy, from the 3 y/o all the way up to adults

Dover makes lots of little tiny crossword puzzle books perfect for a K/1st grader that are awesome stocking stuffers like this and this. They also have sticker books that the younger child enjoys.

Useborne has several nice art history books for kids that would also make nice gifts. We have this one already and I think that I'll buy one more for Christmas.

Guest crowealethea

Dolls are instructional – why not? They teach young kids a lot about caring, giving, sharing, etc. I think educational toys can include play kitchens, too. My daughters love spending hours cooking up things for me and their little baby brother! :)