Menu

Has anyone tried the fast roasting technique for turkeys?

My SIL cooks her turkey in temperature shifts similar to this. She also wraps it in a well-oiled paper bag. I believe it takes 3 hours for a 20 lb. turkey. The first hour is 500, then 400, then 300 or something like that, all while sitting in the oiled paper bag. It always comes out so moist and tender.

Update: I did it! I roasted a 19 lb bird, covered with foil, for about 2 hours at 475 degrees. It was wonderful - very tender and moist. The only drawback was the smoke seeping out of my oven door. We had the vent hood fan on as well as a window opened. My stove is a bit older (16 years) so I might need a new seal on the door.

It was so much more efficient to do it this way. I was able to cook the other items (dressing, sweet potatoes, etc.) before putting in the turkey. I put the cooked dishes in the warming drawer below the oven while the turkey cooked.

I *will* do it this way again.

ok, this has nothing to do with cooking a turkey but apparently the big meal has gotten to me and when reading the thread title I read ...

"Has anyone tried the fast ROPING technique for turkeys?" :confused:

and suddenly a picture of birds in camouflage sliding down ropes from helicopters for a raid of some sort.

Yep it's time for me to get off the computer :lol:

My BIL became our official turkey chef two years ago when he brought trash can turkey. It is delicious and moist. Today, he cooked a 15 lb. Turkey in 1.5 hours amd it was falling apart it was so tender! I don't k ow what he does.....but it works! He found the methof online and yes, he cooks it in a trash can;)

That is the fastest we have ever cooked a turkey.

ok, this has nothing to do with cooking a turkey but apparently the big meal has gotten to me and when reading the thread title I read ...

"Has anyone tried the fast ROPING technique for turkeys?" :confused:

and suddenly a picture of birds in camouflage sliding down ropes from helicopters for a raid of some sort.

Yep it's time for me to get off the computer :lol:

LOL! I read a title a few days ago as "...Christian Demon who believes..." rather than the abbreviation "denom". I was totally baffled for a while. :D

Interesting. I was going to say that's crazy, but apparently it works out.

I can't fathom trying to turn a large bird every 30 minutes though. We had a 20 pound bird this year and I had all I could do to get it onto the cutting board at the end.

I never turned my bird. I covered it with foil (shiny side against the bird) and it was beautifully browned. There is no way I could have turned a 19 lb bird :D