Menu

Have you Used Plato Science

Just signed up so...

yes, appears to be all on-line.

There are teaching aids to download/ print if you choose.

There are simulations, as well.

Real life applications/ practice tests/ Mastery Tests

so far, so good.

(OT - Can you pm me and tell me more about Derek Owens Physical Sci.? Does he use a specific text book?)

It does not have a workbook or text. The co-op has worksheets that may or may not go with it exactly which we have not used yet. I do like it but be aware that if you buy it now, then it will expire in July 2012 instead of a full year subscription. I am guessing in July or August they will again have offers for full year subscriptions. Apparently Plato is doing something with Plato which is why a full year subscription is not offered at this time. I would only use it as a supplement IMHO, it does seem pretty comprehensive but I would want to add in some sort of writing component for retention as well as some hands on.

We've been using Plato Physical Science since September. It came highly recommended from others in our local co-op.

It is all online. The program has what they call applications that the student completes after doing the full lesson. I wouldn't call them labs though. My twins aren't very into science so we do an every other week lab at co-op that doesn't follow the online program but at least they get some hands-on labs. It probably wouldn't be hard to find some do-it-yourself labs to correspond. I had looked at middleschoolchemistry.com before we started the co-op. You could line up a few of these once in a while.

My kids just came out of public school in the spring and they absolutely love Plato. It's extremely thorough, almost to the point of overly repetitive at times, but that's all part of the retention.

You can print out the tests from Homeschool buyers co-op site. My girls have taken the tests online together and now they are working through the printed tests separately as a unit review so I can gauge retention.

So far we really like it.

Is one subject sufficient for an entire year or do more folks double up? I wondered because of the offer of the combo packs. I'm very happy with what we're doing for life science, but not sure what to choose next year for earth/space. The description for earth/space and physical say 17 units each. How long does it take to complete a unit?

Edited by KarenNC

Depends on how much time you devote to Science. Physical Science has 17 units. Each unit has a lesson with 10 - 13 (so far) sections to watch as the core of the lesson. Then there is an applications section, six three-question pre-tests and a 35 question mastery test.

Start to finish, my girls could probably do the whole unit in one session - we have the 11 - 1:45 time slot - but that never happens. That's a lot of science without a break. The lesson takes about 90 minutes, other three sections take about 30 minutes each. We average one unit every other week (skipping the odd weeks to do something else) so it will take us most of eighth grade to finish.

With that said, one could certainly do all 17 lessons in half a year if you scheduled it as such.