Menu

American Girl mini dolls?

My 6yo daughter, who doesn't really play with dolls but likes history a lot, is asking for an American Girl doll. I have told her that the dolls are too expensive for our family, but that she can write to Santa and ask him. (It's not that we can't afford it, but I freeze up at the idea of a $100 doll and $24-32 for extra dresses.)

A friend suggested the AG mini dolls, which are $22 each. I like the idea that she could have four dolls to go on adventures together for less than the price of one full-sized doll, but from the picture in the catalog I am not sure about the quality of the little dolls. Does anyone have direct experience with them? Are they playable, or are they only designed to stand on a shelf? Are they nice quality toys?

The mini dolls are very nice, over the years we aquired a set of the history ones for my 10 year old daughter's large dollhouse. They are made well and the clothing is good quality. The bodies are soft and the arms, legs and heads are all a harder vinyl or plastic. We prefer them to Barbie dolls and they get lots of playtime.

You can find them on Amazon.com even cheaper then the American Girl Website. On Amazon they are only 14 dollars and some change. If you have prime shipping, they are shipped free otherwise you can get free shipping with a 25 dollar order.

The AG mini dolls are reasonable quality.

My dds bought a couple of them with holiday/birthday money several years ago. The dolls never get played with though. My dds say they're "not fun." Lack of wardrobe is part of the issue. AG doesn't sell extra outfits for them, and I have never seen any sewing patterns sized to fit them. Also there are no accessories scaled for the minis.

If you sew (or know someone who does), you could make AG historical dresses for one of the Our Generation dolls. These are patterns that were originally released by AG, but are no longer available. They are, obviously, for the older dolls, not the newer ones.

http://agplaythings.com/AG%20Patterns/DollDressPatterns.html

Also, check the various pattern books at sewing stores. Some of them used to have historical patterns for 18 inch dolls.