Menu

MCT's Sentence Island - evolutionary theme?

Aloha2U

I could be overthinking this and reading too much into it, but I have to ask anyways. Did a red flag immediately and unexpectedly raise for anyone else when starting to read about Mud? Is there an evolutionary theme behind Sentence Island... or is this seemingly insinuated similarity just a mere coincidence?

Edited by NCAmusings
typo

I could be overthinking this and reading too much into it, but i have to ask anyways. Did a red flag immediately and unexpectedly raise for anyone else when starting to read about Mud? Is there an evolutionary theme behind Sentence Island... or is this seemingly insinuated similarity just a mere coincidence?
The thought never occurred to me.

pages 12-18 (approximately) in the TM
I read it as Mud's curiosity and propensity for deep thought marked him as different from the other fish in his school. I guess I can see your reasoning, but given the events of the rest of the story, I don't think it's the author's intent (not that I'd mind if it were).

pages 12-18 (approximately) in the TM

Nope. I don't think so at all. Surrounded by statements like, "all fish can talk" and "second...ideas rose from his head, like bubbles" make it seem completely unintentional.(I hate to use the word unintentional when speaking of this dude... how about without ulterior motive to make a statement wrt evolution) If there were several "coincidences" of this sort I might wonder, but I really don't think so.

I could be overthinking this and reading too much into it, but i have to ask anyways. Did a red flag immediately and unexpectedly raise for anyone else when starting to read about Mud? Is there an evolutionary theme behind Sentence Island... or is this seemingly insinuated similarity just a mere coincidence?

Okay, I'll admit it. I had the same reaction. We were amused at the thought, but as others have posted it doesn't really have much to do with the concepts being taught and it doesn't continue to develop as a theme (from what I can remember).

I'm generally pretty sensitive to that sort of thing and sentence island didn't bother me. I agree with the pp who said it doesn't seem to be a theme throughout the book and that there doesn't seem to be a hidden message that the author is trying to get across.

This is totally unrelated but we saw Happy Feet 2 this past weekend and I found it to be terrible and the writers seemed to be trying way to hard too hard to get some not so subtle evolutionary ideas across. That combined with the strange side story that involved two male krill having a conversation about raising a family of adopted kids together came across as a bit forced.