Menu

PSA: Do NOT buy a Frieze carpet area rug if you have an oreck vacuum

Well because the frieze has a longer thread to it, and the Oreck has no height adjustment, in order to vacuum it I have to only pull the vacuum backward. If I try to go in a back and forth motion then I can hear the brush roll seize up and the belt starts to stink like it's burning. What a pain. I have to either pick the vacuum up walk it across the rug and then put it down and pull it backward across it over and over again, or I have to vacuum in a weird serpentine pattern. And this is a large room size area rug. At least the Oreck is light weight, but what a pain.

Oh, now I understand. Frieze in my world means twisted carpet fibers. What you have is a long fibered area rug, kinda' like the old shag rugs, right?

How big is the rug? If it is small enough you can just shake it out, toss it over a piece of furniture, and then vac the floor. Otherwise, try borrowing your DH's shopvac. It can work wonders.

ETA: Just realized that you said it was room size. Gah! That would drive me crazy.

Edited by LibertyH

Oh, now I understand. Frieze in my world means twisted carpet fibers. What you have is a long fibered area rug, kinda' like the old shag rugs, right?

How big is the rug? If it is small enough you can just shake it out, toss it over a piece of furniture, and then vac the floor. Otherwise, try borrowing your DH's shopvac. It can work wonders.

ETA: Just realized that you said it was room size. Gah! That would drive me crazy.

Tha tag on it at the carpet store said frieze, but yes it has long twisted fibers, kind of like 70s shag ( not quite as long, but much longer than standard carpet)

The shop vac we have is old and nasty, so I'm not going to use that on it, but have though of getting a smaller size one for this rug, they seem to be cheaper than a traditional upright.

Maybe you can give Oreck a call and see what they have to say. I have heard they have great customer service!

I did they said there is nothing that can be done about my vacuum, that's just how they are made. They said Next time I should take my vacuum along to "test" it out. :confused: