Menu

Auditory processing? Noise canceling headphones?

It sounds like she has figure ground auditory processing disorder.. This is what my 10yr old daughter is diagnosed with. She used to have to wear noise-canceling headphones daily. She can't concentrate or hear what she is supposed to hear if there is any sort of background noise.. She can't hear the teacher in co-op classes if there is any sort of humming noise from lights or papers rustling or kids whispering or anything. If people are walking outside the door in high heels or opening and closing doors, etc.. she can't hear what she is supposed to hear. It's very frustrating for her and she has had many meltdowns over it. She did go through 8 weeks of therapy to address this. It didn't help her much.. they retested her at the end of the 8 weeks and said she stayed the same (and one ear actually got worse :tongue_smilie:). But we tried. She has stopped wearing the noise-canceling headphones in the past year though. So I think she is improving from the other interventions that we have implemented such as diet and supplements. She used to be very moody from her sound sensitivity too.. But not so much these days.

You could look at programs such as Earobics and The Listening Program. You might also think about getting her evaluated at a speech & hearing clinic that will test auditory processing.

Also, there is a type of ear plugs that my daughter likes.. They are the silicone ones that you can shape to fit into the opening of your ear canal. She really likes those and will wear them at noisy places when she doesn't want to wear the headphones.

Edited by Misty

It sounds like she has figure ground auditory processing disorder.. This is what my 10yr old daughter is diagnosed with. She used to have to wear noise-canceling headphones daily. She can't concentrate or hear what she is supposed to hear if there is any sort of background noise.. She can't hear the teacher in co-op classes if there is any sort of humming noise from lights or papers rustling or kids whispering or anything. If people are walking outside the door in high heels or opening and closing doors, etc.. she can't hear what she is supposed to hear. It's very frustrating for her and she has had many meltdowns over it. She did go through 8 weeks of therapy to address this. It didn't help her much.. they retested her at the end of the 8 weeks and said she stayed the same (and one ear actually got worse :tongue_smilie:). But we tried. She has stopped wearing the noise-canceling headphones in the past year though. So I think she is improving from the other interventions that we have implemented such as diet and supplements. She used to be very moody from her sound sensitivity too.. But not so much these days.

You could look at programs such as Earobics and The Listening Program. You might also think about getting her evaluated at a speech & hearing clinic that will test auditory processing.

Also, there is a type of ear plugs that my daughter likes.. They are the silicone ones that you can shape to fit into the opening of your ear canal. She really likes those and will wear them at noisy places when she doesn't want to wear the headphones.

I very much agree with the recommendation for an auditory screening and processing evaluation recommendation--at the best place you can find.

My son had mild CAPD and occasionally now at 16 he wears his head phones if we are being too noisy and he really has to concentrate. We didn't have any when he was young and first diagnosed at 5. We tried ear plugs with limited sucess. We used Earobics and desensitised him to noise mainly with his noisy baby sister.

Some kids just wear hearing protection purchased at home improvement stores - look like headphones, but just block noise. These are inexpensive.

:iagree: worth a try. DH has a pair for using power tools that the kids fight over whenever a thunder storm approaches. I tried them once and was amazed how much I couldn't hear, very calming.

My 7 yo has some auditory processing issues and has a really hard time concentrating at all if there is ANY noise. I thought about noise canceling headphones for her, but at over $395 a pair online, I can't afford that! Ideas?

Something a lot cheaper is to do the Earobics therapy as outlined in When Listening Comes Alive (not to be confused with the Earobics put out by a textbook company.) Start with the therapy that you can do yourself. Order the book & the Earobics #2 CD and you can start. I'm going to be doing this with my ds. You won't find an affordable copy of the book used on Amazon, apparently. You might find it at the library.

This therapy can help your dd learn to tune sounds out--it may well be a listening problem (pat of learning how to listen is learning how to tune out unnecessary sounds). This will help long term, whereas headphones only help short term. There are centres where you can pay for more comprehensive therapy, but this way is cheaper. Don't get the earobics #1 for a child (I called & discussed this with someone there for ds.)