Menu

Completely dropped the ball! Papier Mache help please!

I planned to do a full-on horn of plenty out of papier mache with my girls but totally dropped the ball! HELP! What do I need so I can start this project tomorrow??? I don't want to let down my 7yo. :(

The only part I can remember is newspaper, cardboard, masking tape for shaping?, the *glue*, and paint. Is that it?

That sounds about right. You can also use chicken wire for shaping, and one benefit to that is the object dries faster. You're probably looking at making it tomorrow and painting it a day or two after that. With chicken wire, a thin layer of strips, goop that isn't *too* wet, and perhaps a hair dryer for half an hour, you may get away with half a day drying time... but count on a day.

The glue can be wallpaper paste, thinned white glue, or--in a pinch--a flour and water mixture.

You can also buy plaster gauze; it comes on rolls. You just cut it into strips, wet it and use like plaster of Paris. It is much easier than paper mâché. I don't even think you would need chicken wire if you used that. I think you could make a cornucopia with a balloon.

Can I buy that at Home Depot? I'll be right next door in about an hour.

I was thinking of the balloon...that was all I could remember about it from my 6th grade art class. ;)