Menu

Aw, Fooey, Double Drat and all that...

We were excited to discover UNC Wilmington has a really good film studies department, with an excellent rep and wonderful-sounding course work, in both production and true film studies. I looked on line, and even the out of state tuition seemed within our means!

Until I realized the numbers quoted were per SEMESTER instead of per year.

GRRRRR.

Not much chance of scholarships here. CARP!!!:rolleyes:

I ask because the older teens on our swim team tell me that Eastern and Wilmington are THE state party schools, with ECU being #1, lol. Not that they may not also be good schools, of course!

1 gal from our team did go to Wilmington this year (even though she also said it had the party school rep) and I am interested to see if her opinion has changed after a year there. :001_smile:

Georgia

I ask because the older teens on our swim team tell me that Eastern and Wilmington are THE state party schools, with ECU being #1, lol. Not that they may not also be good schools, of course!

1 gal from our team did go to Wilmington this year (even though she also said it had the party school rep) and I am interested to see if her opinion has changed after a year there. :001_smile:

Georgia

Well, bear in mind that while Wilmington--like any school--has its party aspect, it does have a one of the better film programs in the country. Screen Gems has a studio in Wilmington so there are a number of film people in the community as well.

You can judge a college or university on its general reputation, but individual departments are often the more important thing for a prospective student, particularly one who is more serious. At least in my opinion.

Jane (who is also curious to hear if your acquaintance's opinion changed--so much depends on her crowd, too, I suppose)

and she loved it. She is the last person who would go to a party school. I've never heard anyone around me call it a party school (I live in eastern NC) but I can tell you that what you've heard about ECU is true. I have several friends whose children are going to attend UNCW. They chose it because it has such a good reputation not because it's considered a party school.