Menu

Stop-Motion Video question....

Beth in SW WA

I snooped around on the Sidwell Friends website (where the Obama girls go to school) and found this amazing little video the 6th grade class did on Island Of The Blue Dolphins.

We have a nice Sony HD camcorder. Would it be easy to teach my dds how to do this type of videography?

Does anyone here have experience with this? I think my girls would enjoy this.

Thanks in advance!

My kids have made a few, they actually just used the camera on my phone and our movie software, iMovie. With iMovie, even the 6 year old can make a movie. I think it would be easier with a regular camera than a video camera.

The funniest was one Dad helped with--the finished product looked like Legos assembling themselves.

Yes, very easy! :)

Our DSs self-taught filmmaking animation with our video camera and using I-Movie, which is super-simple to learn and use. And Legos make a GREAT first animation medium to work with, as you have mini-figs with movable parts and you can keep them stable on a baseplate.

is a wonderful introductory youtube video of what "stop-gap motion" is and how to make an animated movie. Check out the Legos movie-making website, Brick Films, to see films, and for ideas and resources.

A great introduction into videography and film making techniques for kids is: "Attack of the Killer Video Book (by Mark Shulman).

And a great handbook for using I-Movie is "I-Movie HD" (by David Pogue).

And there are more great resource ideas in this thread and in this thread. Apple Computer offers a FREE Moviemaking Curriculum (grades 8-12) -- 16-week course; very detailed lesson plans

Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.