Menu

Does Media Mail have to be shipped from the post office?

My neighbor told me that all media mail packages must be presented to the post office. I can't put $3.00 worth of stamps, mark media mail on the package and send it from home. Anyone know if this is true? I rarely ship media mail, but had never heard this rule.

I don't think you can ship packages over 13 oz without dealing with a postal employee anymore.

I don't think you can ship packages over 13 oz without dealing with a postal employee anymore.

You can, but only if you use printed postage, not stamps. So if you are printing your labels and postage via a service like USPS, stamps.com, amazon, etc, then you can put the item in a collection box, or just set it on the counter inside the post office if it's too big for the box.

I would think that handing a stamped package to your postal carrier would work, but I would ask him to make sure.

What you definitely can NOT do is put a stamped packaged over 13 oz in the collection box.

You can, but only if you use printed postage, not stamps. So if you are printing your labels and postage via a service like USPS, stamps.com, amazon, etc, then you can put the item in a collection box, or just set it on the counter inside the post office if it's too big for the box.

I would think that handing a stamped package to your postal carrier would work, but I would ask him to make sure.

What you definitely can NOT do is put a stamped packaged over 13 oz in the collection box.

:iagree: I use paypal shipping for nearly all packages, and I can ship MM from home using that service. You can use multi shipping or something like that even without a transaction through eBay, so if you have PP you can go that route. USPS offers shipping through their site too.

You can't request a carrier pick-up with Media Mail, but I have used a pre-printed label (from PayPal) and put it in the mailbox. Actually, my mailman drove up as I was putting it in the mailbox, so I asked him if there was any problem with shipping Media Mail from home. He said it was fine, as long as it fit in the mailbox. Most of my Media Mail packages won't fit in the mailbox so I end up taking them to the post office.

(Ditto what everyone else said about using stamps--don't use stamps for packages.)