Menu

Questions on brining a turkey

Okay, I have never brined a turkey and have some questions. I have Alton Brown's recipe.

1. Can any turkey be brined? I have a Honeysuckle turkey.

2. I bought a brining bag to put the turkey in. After I put the turkey and the brining solution in the bag, can I put it in a cooler? Should I put lots of ice in with it?

3. How long do you usually brine the turkey for. Alton Brown's recipe says anywhere from 8-24 hours. ( or maybe I read this somewhere else.)

4. Alton Brown's recipes calls for allspice berries and candied ginger. I have looked and can't find these, any substitutes or point be in the right direction to find them.

5. Is this really worth it?!!!!

I have brined turkeys before, with a different recipe that called for oranges. And yes, it was definitely worth it. If you can't find candied ginger, which they should have at a nicer grocery store, I'd just put a small amount of grated fresh ginger in the brine. Allspice berries are just the "unground" form of allspice. I'd substitute with a couple shakes of ground allspice.

ETA: I always brined the turkey overnight in the fridge. I imagine it would be fine in a cooler with lots of ice.

Okay, I have never brined a turkey and have some questions. I have Alton Brown's recipe.

In our experience, they can all be brined. Some come a little brined already, though.

2. I bought a brining bag to put the turkey in. After I put the turkey and the brining solution in the bag, can I put it in a cooler? Should I put lots of ice in with it?

Yes. We usually put ours in a plastic tote and put it in the fridge, but a cooler should work fine.

3. How long do you usually brine the turkey for. Alton Brown's recipe says anywhere from 8-24 hours. ( or maybe I read this somewhere else.)

I think if you look it up, there are recommendations for how many hours depending on the weight of your turkey. Just google it and you should find it pretty easily.

4. Alton Brown's recipes calls for allspice berries and candied ginger. I have looked and can't find these, any substitutes or point be in the right direction to find them.

In our experience, the most important part of the brine is the salt. The seasonings don't matter so much, although they are nice. So don't sweat it. Just put whatever seasonings you would usually use on your turkey in the brine.

Yes! We were first introduced to brining through Alton as well, and we have never gone back. We do dry brining now, which we think is easier and gets just as good results. You might try looking into that if you want, but definitely brine it.

:001_smile:

I'm not expert, but here's what I can tell you.

Yes, it is definitely worth it. Prevents dry turkey - the whole cooking business is a lot less tricky when the meat is guarateed moist!

Just skip the stuff you can't find. Truly, the kosher salt & liquid are the only vital things.

Every year, I just empty the bottom drawer of my fridge & clean really well, and just brine in that. Put the turkey in first, pour the brine on top, then jiggle/"burp" the turkey to get the liquid in the middle.

8 hours is for a smaller bird - 24 hours is for one of those mongo big ones.

Can you explain dry brining to me?

Salt the bird inside and out. Bag. Leave in fridge for two or three days. Rinse. Cook. Google for bird weight to salt ratio. :001_smile:

ETA : I used the recipe posted above. :001_smile:

Edited by nmoira