Menu

Trigonometry or Pre Cal

Ok I'll ask my question a different way.

we are trying to decide between TT's Pre Cal and Saxon

Advanced Math.

What is the difference between trigonometry and pre-calculus? (can you tell I never made it that far in math?)

DS has taken through ALG2 and Geometry in Teaching Textbooks, but I don't want to throw him into TT Pre-Cal if there are skills he could benefit from in the Saxon Advanced Math.

thanks for any help/input.

Martha

Hi Martha,

Precalculus is a course that solidifies algebraic concepts before students move on to Calculus. Different publishers may structure some of their curricular materials differently, but the basic content of precalculus usually involves some advanced algebra concepts, work with logarithms and exponential functions, and trigonometry. Most students are introduced to basic trig functions via triangular relationships in a geometry class, but this introduction is minimal. Some publishers included trig in their Algebra II books but some do not, expecting students to either have a separate course in trig or to see it for the first time in precalculus. I am not familiar with the contents of the TT materials that you used, but from comments made on this board, I wonder if the jump from TT ALG 2 to Saxon Advanced Math might be a great one. As I understand it, some topics normally introduced in Algebra II are not introduced in TT until Precalc. Perhaps someone else can help more.

Jane

I am making this same determination, and have decided to try out TT Precal. I found ds did not do terribly well with Geometry (TT) and so may need the review. That could have been because he did it independently, so I'm hoping we can use TT PC with Daddy alongside!

I, too, have heard Saxon will be much more difficult. If you've done TT so far and are pleased, it won't be a jump to do PreC with them, because it comes next in their sequence.

I'd also encourage you to get an SAT prep book and start working it alongside this year. Many times the SAT math is worded a lot differently, and there are tricks to it--so if dc doesn't do well on the SAT, some blame their textbook preparation, instead of realizing the SAT is a "different animal" and requires different prep (or at least, students benefit from prep).

Thanks Chris and Jane for the feed back! I think we will stick with the TT though they don't have the DVD's for this yet.

I did start looking at Thinkwell though, which has video help and has algebraic review...

I have ruled out Saxon though at this point.

THanks!

Martha

From a math geek point of view:

Trigonometry is the study of angles and the relationships between the angles and their sides.

Pre-Calculus is a review of all math. It is usually taken right before starting Calculus. It should cover all the things learned in Algebra 1 and 2, Geometry and Trigonometry. If any of that isn't solid, pre-calc is going to be a nightmare. It moves way too fast to learn new concepts. It is meant as a review.

I would think that unless your student is going into some sort of engineering that would involve angles, like aero, mechanical or civil engineering, or physics that the amount of trig in Pre-Calculus would be enough. But if your student is looking at mechanical engineering then truly understanding the relationships with in those angles becomes much more critical.

Personally, I loved trig. It was pretty in a way that spoke to me. My classmates thought it was an instrument of torture. I wish I could explain just how much I enjoyed it. Good luck with your choices.

A little bit more to add about trigonometry. Not only does Trig inlcude the calculating of angles, it also covers derivation of trigonometric identities, it covers graphs of sine, cosine, tangent, the inverse functions, and their properties. And trig is great for showing how these functions can be applied in real world situations.

Wishing you the best,

Claire in NM