Menu

SOTW first go round and then switch or not?

OrganicAnn

We are doing SOTW (DD 7) we just finished reading vol. 1. It took about 2 months. We are not doing any of the activities (DD has issues with writing and reading) so we are spending time working on those issues. DD loves SOTW. She cheers when I say we're going to read it. She wants to continue to vol2 and then she wants us to reread vol 1 and then vol 2 and then get vol 3. I told her we might have to wait on vol 4.

So if we read vol 1 through vol 3 in the next year or year and 1/2 and then re-read it, should I get another series that is maybe a little more advanced? She likes everything that is 'story like'. Or I suppose I could pick a few in-depth history books on a couple topics.

My 7 year old loves them too. He's read all 4 volumes. We're still going one book per year as part of "school" though. We read and discuss one section per day, 3 days per week. He narrates orally. We do the maps, but rarely do the activities. I get library books recommended in the AG.

Next year, we'll take a detour into American history for a couple years. I'm sure he'll read volumes 3 and 4 again during that time. :)

Maybe also get the audio versions....then she could listen to the volumes you've already done to her heart's content until you're ready to move on to the next volume. Or get an activity guide used, and let her do some of the activities to stretch out the time it takes to get through a volume.

If you want to slow it down, adding in some of the historical fiction that is recommended in the AG (or just stuff you find at the library) really makes it a much more amazing experience. You could do a more in depth study of American history next for a year or two and maybe a year of geography and then move on to K12's Human Odyssey series. I probably wouldn't recommend HO below about 5th grade though (the first volume is intended for 7th grade).

I don't know if I want to slow it down. I'll have to think about that for a while. DD is 2E = high IQ, but struggles with writing and reading, so we have to spend time going very slowly in those areas. It is nice that she has a subject she can zip along. I didn't get the AG, because we weren't going to do activities (except some map stuff). I guess I'll find some reading lists and look at the library. If nothing else, we can fill in the time between ordering the next book and having it arrive. I guess that is the best way.

Is the next level of history books mainly for highschool? Since SOTW and similar books can be used through out Elementary ages is that mainly it until highschool or is there a middle school level?

Thanks for the feedback. It always makes me think.

I don't think there's a middle-school level, and the grown-up books are big and heavy and fat and definitely not good for anything lower than high school.

I was GOING to suggest supplementing with lots of outside reading, but it seems you don't want to do that. Can you try levelled readers etc that relate to the history you're doing, I guess SOTW2?

My dd7 is a slow and unsteady reader, but really enjoys snuggling up with books on ancient anything, so I've just taken out a steady stream of them from the library for her to enjoy between chapters. Plus, sometimes I make her read something connected from a levelled reader. Usborne Beginners have a few - we own one of them about Ancient Egyptians.

By the way, this is Ruth Beechick's core idea: if you're "going very slowly" in the areas of reading and writing, don't waste time with reading/writing that is unrelated to the course materials - instead, tie it in so you're maximizing that time.

Do copywork that is Ancients-related if you're studying Ancients. Do reading that is related to what you're doing in History or Science. That way, the kid also feels it's meaningful, not just busywork, and you don't waste time "teaching" subjects that often don't need as much formal teaching. And that way, it doesn't have to FEEL like you're going slowly. We are only covering 1 history chapter every 2 weeks or so because of various breaks (argh) but it still feels fast because we're doing SO much reading and other stuff.

(I don't do History copywork, but much of our copywork is excerpted from our weekly Bible portion)

How is her retention? Are you having her narrate? Soon after the story and long after the story?

DS5 zips through SOTW too, and he loves it. I would not slow down simply for the sake of slowing down, but you might want to cycle back through.

This is my plan for DS… Currently I have him listen to audio CDs (whatever he wants, when he wants – he loves them so he listens a LOT). By the time I read the chapter to him, he has usually already heard it a few times on the CD, so he can narrate back to me and answer all review questions very well. He colors the AG coloring page while I read, and then we do the map together. I know you said your DD has reading and writing issues, but what about coloring? There is not writing on the maps (though there is a tiny bit of reading, but you could help her with it), and DS gets a lot out of doing them (as well as the coloring pages, strangely enough – I thought they would just be fun, but I do think they aid retention).

I think we will finish SOTW vol 4 about a year after we started vol 1 (DS will be 6). I then plan to cycle back through them one more time to focus a lot on the timeline as we go. DS will be very familiar with the stories by then (already is!), so the thing he will really be learning is the order and relationship of the stories in history. The main thing I will have him do is to narrate to me, but not just the story in the chapter we just read, but rather all the way through history. The AG includes some flashcards at the back (one card per chapter I think) so I plan to use the info on those, I think (though in his own words).

Anyway, that is my plan… two cycles through SOTW, focus on stories and maps the first time, and timeline and overall historical narration the second time.

IMHO, there is a lot that can be done with SOTW without reading and writing, and personally, I *much* prefer going through whole set of the books quickly twice rather than slowly once. I think the quicker pace helps create a better overall perspective and context for the stories. It really seems to work great for DS that way.

I’m not sure yet what resource we will use once we get through our second round of SOTW!

I don't know if I want to slow it down. I'll have to think about that for a while. DD is 2E = high IQ, but struggles with writing and reading, so we have to spend time going very slowly in those areas. It is nice that she has a subject she can zip along. I didn't get the AG, because we weren't going to do activities (except some map stuff). I guess I'll find some reading lists and look at the library. If nothing else, we can fill in the time between ordering the next book and having it arrive. I guess that is the best way.

Is the next level of history books mainly for highschool? Since SOTW and similar books can be used through out Elementary ages is that mainly it until highschool or is there a middle school level?

Thanks for the feedback. It always makes me think.

Middle school level would be K12's Human Odyssey (highly recommended).

Middle school level would be K12's Human Odyssey (highly recommended).
I'm poised to start this with DD the Elder.

We got bogged down in Middle Ages for three years. :blush: It was a great three years, but it's time to move on. I'm having her read the four SOTW books a couple times and we'll be moving into Human Odyssey, covering the series in three years or four years. We'll be using the historical fiction, contemporary accounts, Hakim's The Story of Science and the Oxford World in Ancient Times and Medieval & Modern World sets for supplemental reading, and interspersing US History throughout. Unlike our last (failed) pass through, this will be completely sequenced out, but not scheduled. She'll be free to explore topics of interest more deeply, but not indefinitely. :tongue_smilie:

I'm just struggling to get my 8 year old interested in SOTW1---it's just not working for us at all. We've done some activities and they've been total flops---my 4 year old liked them more. I've had to reread reread reread the same chapters again and again because he won't retain them---I don't think he is even trying to honestly. The maps and coloring sheets seem like busywork and he has no interest in caring about them.

I haven't tried the audio--but he doesn't really like Weiss--will listen to Classical Kids though. Has not even attempted to read them on his own and asking him to would likely start a mutiny.

The supplement readings have been over his head as well---can't get this kiddo interested in non-fiction AT ALL.

I'm just amazed so many have had such luck with this program--I like it and want it to work, but it just is not doing anything for us. I gave up on the trivium a long time ago btw because my kid does not care for over half of anything recommended for grammar age.

:001_huh:

I'm just struggling to get my 8 year old interested in SOTW1---it's just not working for us at all. We've done some activities and they've been total flops---my 4 year old liked them more. I've had to reread reread reread the same chapters again and again because he won't retain them---I don't think he is even trying to honestly. The maps and coloring sheets seem like busywork and he has no interest in caring about them.

Don't worry about retention at this age.

Read away! If your child is enjoying just reading through these books, then go for it! I think your idea to read through volume 1 -3 twice is terrific. You dc will remember more during the second reading and pick up on new/different things.

After you finish reading the books a second time, maybe you'll discover a particular area/topic you'd like focus on more deeply. Middle ages? Ancients? Egyptians? American History? Who knows! If you felt comfortable, you could just wait and see.

There are other good cds about the periods. Famous Men of Series is great :) You can download these from librovox. I like the books from Memoria Press (the new in color ones) to go along with these. We do projects out of the AG at co-op which he likes.... He barely writes, but this hasn't been a problem. :) For writing I have him do penmanship (HWOT) and also math :)