Menu

S/O Diabetes

Does anyone have any good resources for learning about Type 2 diabetes or even pre-diabetes? Any books, websites, cookbooks on what happens, meal plans, how to manage it, etc? I'm worried about me and DH. We're overweight, but making some changes, better food choices, exercising (this is the latest change and is slow going). But giving up sweets will probably be the last and most difficult. It's not uncommon for us to get a craving for ice cream or cookies or something and wait til the kids are in bed and eat them. I'm just looking for a lot of information. I've got to get ready for church, so I won't be able to check on this for a few hours. Thank you in advance

My last two bloodtests indicated that I might be pre-diabetic. It runs in my family. My FNP recommended that I read Diabetes for Dummies. She said, "I know it's sounds really stupid, but it's full of information and very helpful."

ETA: The book I actually ordered is Pre-Diabetes for Dummies.

Edited by cowgirl

http://simplysugarandglutenfree.com/scoopable-healthier-ice-cream-with-a-little-stevia/

Somethings don't have to be given up. Look for alternative snacks and cut down on the portion sizes.

We like to snack after the kids go to bed too.

I recently found Zevia Rootbeer! Although I can't finish a whole 8 oz can of soda any more since I'd sworn off that soda with my diagnosis.

Nuts are good too.

Portion size is key.

My dh found this book helpful: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. He's pre-diabetic and has stayed off meds by increasing his exercise and cutting out starches and sugars as much as possible.

Actually, Dr. Bernstein is a long time Type 1 diabetic, dependent on insulin, as are all Type 1's. He was an engineer by training, and discovered quite independently the effect of carbohydrates on his blood sugar.

Edited by Lawana
Revising

Originally Posted by Cinder

My dh found this book helpful: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. He's pre-diabetic and has stayed off meds by increasing his exercise and cutting out starches and sugars as much as possible.

Actually, Dr. Bernstein is a long time Type 1 diabetic, dependent on insulin, as are all Type 1's. He was an engineer by training, and discovered quite independently the effect of carbohydrates on his blood sugar.

Gah! That should say dh is pre-diabetic and has stayed off meds . . .

Sorry for the confusion! I'm sure the grammar police will be coming to get me soon. :D

or a referral with a diabetes educator in your community. They are nurses specially trained to answer all of your above mentioned concerns.

That's not really an option right now nor is it really necessary as there's nothing wrong with me. I was just wanting to research the topic. Thank you though :001_smile:

My last two bloodtests indicated that I might be pre-diabetic. It runs in my family. My FNP recommended that I read Diabetes for Dummies. She said, "I know it's sounds really stupid, but it's full of information and very helpful."

ETA: The book I actually ordered is Pre-Diabetes for Dummies.

Thank you, I'll look into it.

Gah! That should say dh is pre-diabetic and has stayed off meds . . .

Sorry for the confusion! I'm sure the grammar police will be coming to get me soon. :D

It's ok, I understood what you meant. I'll look into the book, thank you.