Menu

Are there any video math programs similar in "feel"/approach to Dolciani?

BIG *SIGH*...

I was really leaning towards using Dolciani for our Algebra 1 program next year. (8th gr.) I like the explanations, the depth of thinking, and the word problems. However, I am no math expert. My plan was to go through Dolciani this summer in order prepare myself to teach. I am no Jane in NC, or Jann in TX, and I'm *certainly* no Charon. If I were, I wouldn't even dream of using a video-based program, because I really *like* sitting next to my dd and teaching/guiding her through all of her subjects. It most fits my philosophy of homeschooling. But, I think I may need to use a video program because,

A. I am not math-proficient. I can try to explain difficult concepts that my dd has trouble with, but I lack the proficiency to expand on concepts, and teach them a different way. *Sometimes* I am able to do this, and reach my dd, but not like a real mathy person could do.

B. Math is the one subject where my dd and I butt heads on a regular basis. It is NOT a good way to start the day, and it is definitely not great for our relationship.

To give a bit of background on my dd:

She is strong in LA/Writing. However, she did do well with Singapore through 6B. She did an amazing job with the wp's - most of the time, better than I did. She would *get* the more abstract ones, and I tended to do better than she on the standard-type problems.

I would like a program that takes a similar approach to Dolciani, but I am not sure that anyone here would know that. I just thought I'd ask anyway. I have heard of VT, CD, and Math Relief. I have the sample for VT, so I will be checking that out. I could really use some advice.

This is something that I really don't want to do, so if someone out there would like to encourage me to stick w/the Dolciani text, go right ahead. However, I do need to hear from those in a similar situation who chose to go the video route.

ETA: I would also be interested in some type of supplemental course, which could allow me to use Dolciani, and be there for back-up explanations, if we need them.

Thank you!

Maybe you could call these companies and ask for a sample DVD to help you in your decision. For years I thought it was up to me to teach everything to my children, I realize now it was pride on my part to think that no one could help them better than me. This was the first year that I let that go. DS had teachingtape to help him through Saxon Advanced Math. DD had TT geometry and they both did CD SAT Math review. We all like Dana Mosely so much that we are switching over completely to him. He's just a superoir teacher.....way better than me!

This is something that I really don't want to do, so if someone out there would like to encourage me to stick w/the Dolciani text, go right ahead. However, I do need to hear from those in a similar situation who chose to go the video route.

My DH and I have spent the last 6 months or so researching the higher level math options. We read through many websites: Mathematically Correct, Charon's Blog, the Final Report of the National Mathematics Advisory Panel (2008), etc., to name a few. We looked at some of the video options (TT & Chalkdust) at a homeschool curriculum fair last month. We viewed the VT sample at home. We reviewed & compared Algebra and/or Geometry books (via ILL) written by Lial, Larson, Foerster, Brown (the newer Houghton Mifflin Algebra edition that started with Dolciani), Jacobs, and Jurgensen.

I'm an accountant, and DH is a mechanical engineer. We are math proficient, but not experts by any means. However, we've decided to use the older Dolciani editions for high school math. In our opinion, these older editions present a more logical and systematic approach to math and introduce axioms regularly.

I've been able to find a teacher's edition for Dolciani's Alg & Trig and Modern Intro Analysis. I was not successful in finding a teacher's edition for Modern Alg Book 1; however, I'm working through this book now and making my own teacher notes in preparation for my oldest son. I have an extra year to do this though.

This is not the easy path for math, but we feel that it's the best approach for our boys. So just know that if you take the same route, you won't be alone.

Dolciani Algebra? It has step by step solutions for each problem. I would also try to pick up a cheap, used copy of Foerster (for clearer explanations if you get stuck on a subject).

HTH,

Sandra

PS. My daughter and I also bumped heads. We quickly went through Dolciani's PreAlgebra after PM 1-6 to solidify the concepts and introduce the American way. She was young (11) and hopefully Dolciani Algebra in the fall will go well when she's 12 and a 7th grader.

Dolciani Algebra? It has step by step solutions for each problem. I would also try to pick up a cheap, used copy of Foerster (for clearer explanations if you get stuck on a subject).

HTH,

Sandra

PS. My daughter and I also bumped heads. We quickly went through Dolciani's PreAlgebra after PM 1-6 to solidify the concepts and introduce the American way. She was young (11) and hopefully Dolciani Algebra in the fall will go well when she's 12 and a 7th grader.

I have the TM and Solution Manual for Dolciani. I also have Foerster and the TM. Lial's Intro. to Algebra is also on my shelf. I am well-stocked w/math texts. :001_smile: My concern is with not being able to explain/articulate some of the more difficult concepts as we progress. The video will also remove me as the primary teacher, and as I said before, this may prove helpful to our relationship.

I know waaay more Latin than my dd, so that is something I am totally comfortable teaching her. No butting heads here, even though Latin concepts can be difficult at times. I can anticipate where she may encounter problems, and I know how to help her. I am not as comfortable with math.

I am still in the thinking stages, and I may try the Dolciani text in tandem with some kind of video program.

I could have written your post Lisa. I look forward to the response. With ds15 I went with Chalkdust, we both like Dana Mosley very much.

Karen, can you share a little bit about your experience w/Chalkdust? I have been reviewing some of the programs online, and got to watch a sample of Mr. Mosley. He is very thorough, and I like how he presents the material.

Karen, can you share a little bit about your experience w/Chalkdust? I have been reviewing some of the programs online, and got to watch a sample of Mr. Mosley. He is very thorough, and I like how he presents the material.

There's not much to tell. Ds15 began Algebra with Jacob's in 8th grade. We made it 1/2 way through the book and hit a wall. We tried going back a chapter or two and again hit a wall (I think in chapter 8.) I finally watched a sample of Mosely online and decided to go with Chalkdust. I appreciate the fact that he goes through problems step by step and encourages students to show all their work (that's a battle here sometimes. :glare:) My son has just finished Algebra I with a 98% average, I'm trusting it's because of D. Mosely's excellent teaching and my ds's maturity and not because the curriculum is easy.

If your goal is to find something that will allow you to sit down with your daughter and talk about the math, I'd suggest you look at samples of the video math programs and pick the one that you feel would work best for you (assuming that it's not a poor fit for your daughter).

VT gave me a better understanding about how the various algebra topics fit together, but we're also enjoying the Chalkdust SAT prep dvd's. In the SAT prep dvd's Dana Mosley talks in terms of the "classroom method" vs. the SAT approach to math problems. From what I've seen, the references to his "classroom method" are consistent with VT instruction.

I'm making better use of our Teaching Company math videos this year (Alg. II and Geometry) after finishing VT algebra and most of VT geometry. I've also recently seen an ad for the TC Algebra I series which is centered on functions. It starts with fairly simple examples. If you have a good solutions manual for the Dolciani texts, the TC supplemental videos might be all you'd need. TC usually puts all their high school items on sale in late summer.

FWIW, I sat with my son all the way through VT algebra. We paused frequently for discussion, kept our own supplemental notebooks, and I worked at least the sample problems for each lesson. Having video instruction took a lot of the "head-butting" out of our math time, but I did not feel that I had dropped out of the process.

If your goal is to find something that will allow you to sit down with your daughter and talk about the math, I'd suggest you look at samples of the video math programs and pick the one that you feel would work best for you (assuming that it's not a poor fit for your daughter).

VT gave me a better understanding about how the various algebra topics fit together, but we're also enjoying the Chalkdust SAT prep dvd's. In the SAT prep dvd's Dana Mosley talks in terms of the "classroom method" vs. the SAT approach to math problems. From what I've seen, the references to his "classroom method" are consistent with VT instruction.

I'm making better use of our Teaching Company math videos this year (Alg. II and Geometry) after finishing VT algebra and most of VT geometry. I've also recently seen an ad for the TC Algebra I series which is centered on functions. It starts with fairly simple examples. If you have a good solutions manual for the Dolciani texts, the TC supplemental videos might be all you'd need. TC usually puts all their high school items on sale in late summer.

FWIW, I sat with my son all the way through VT algebra. We paused frequently for discussion, kept our own supplemental notebooks, and I worked at least the sample problems for each lesson. Having video instruction took a lot of the "head-butting" out of our math time, but I did not feel that I had dropped out of the process.

Martha, thank you so much for the reassurance. It has really come down to the fact that I need to do something for the sake of our relationship. I was going to go through the Dolciani text over the summer, and try to teach her Algebra myself. However, I am fairly certain that even if I do that, we will still reach points of conflict and head-butting. I only have the next two years w/my dd, and then she is off to ps. I want these two years to be as enjoyable as possible. :001_smile:

What did you mean by Mosely's comparison of the "classroom method" vs the SAT approach? Is this a "positive" for VT, or a negative?

I meant it as a positive for VT. We didn't find any examples on the CD algebra review disc that hadn't also been covered in VT algebra. I think that the different modes of presentation plus differences in sequence make VT and CD look more dissimilar than they actually are. I'm sure, however, that the folks who sell the two will tell you that their own product is superior. :laugh:

In the SAT prep dvd's Dana Mosely puts up problems typically found on SAT exams, often begins with a brief review of how he teaches that particular concept in his CD courses, and then goes on to demonstrate ways to shorten the process for timed tests.

I chose VT over CD because I felt it was more "doable" for me [it was easy for me to fit it into my day], and also because I thought ds would benefit from the VT pre-algebra module [our first try at algebra with Jacobs was disappointing]. Also, I don't remember the approach suggested by CD, but I have talked with the VT author, and he advocates parental involvement even though he knows that not everyone uses the program that way.

If you want a day to day video program, Chalkdust's more traditional format might be a better choice if your daughter is expecting to return to ps during the high school years.

The Teaching Company videos, IMO, work best either to help a teacher prepare to teach a course, or for student review.

There's not much to tell. Ds15 began Algebra with Jacob's in 8th grade. We made it 1/2 way through the book and hit a wall. We tried going back a chapter or two and again hit a wall (I think in chapter 8.) I finally watched a sample of Mosely online and decided to go with Chalkdust. I appreciate the fact that he goes through problems step by step and encourages students to show all their work (that's a battle here sometimes. :glare:) My son has just finished Algebra I with a 98% average, I'm trusting it's because of D. Mosely's excellent teaching and my ds's maturity and not because the curriculum is easy.

Thank you, Karen! :001_smile:

I meant it as a positive for VT. We didn't find any examples on the CD algebra review disc that hadn't also been covered in VT algebra. I think that the different modes of presentation plus differences in sequence make VT and CD look more dissimilar than they actually are. I'm sure, however, that the folks who sell the two will tell you that their own product is superior. :laugh:

In the SAT prep dvd's Dana Mosely puts up problems typically found on SAT exams, often begins with a brief review of how he teaches that particular concept in his CD courses, and then goes on to demonstrate ways to shorten the process for timed tests.

I chose VT over CD because I felt it was more "doable" for me [it was easy for me to fit it into my day], and also because I thought ds would benefit from the VT pre-algebra module [our first try at algebra with Jacobs was disappointing]. Also, I don't remember the approach suggested by CD, but I have talked with the VT author, and he advocates parental involvement even though he knows that not everyone uses the program that way.

If you want a day to day video program, Chalkdust's more traditional format might be a better choice if your daughter is expecting to return to ps during the high school years.

The Teaching Company videos, IMO, work best either to help a teacher prepare to teach a course, or for student review.

Thank you, Martha. :001_smile: