Menu

Field trip to NYC, Boston and Vermont in April ... ideas?

So far on my list is the Met Museum of Art, the Natural History Museum in NYC, and Old Sturbridge Village.

What else? We will be in R.I. to visit someone, too.

I have two weeks there, the boys can stay longer and travel further.

We are looking for more field-trippy history, art, natural sciences, but a "fun" thing for a break would be okay, too.

What have you loved/found worthwhile? Thanks.

ETA: Oh, and the Cloisters and Central Park: zoo, statue of Balto and the pond where Stuart Little raced his boat.

Edited by kalanamak

My school always did a field trip to Fort Number 4 (http://www.fortat4.com/history.php) and I remember we all had a great time learning about life in the 1700s. Not sure if that's something you might want to check out or not.

Old Sturbridge Village was always a great trip as well.

This is a fun natural history museum (or I remember it being so when I was in 4th grade which was quite a time ago)

http://www.fairbanksmuseum.org/

My school always did a field trip to Fort Number 4 (http://www.fortat4.com/history.php) and I remember we all had a great time learning about life in the 1700s. Not sure if that's something you might want to check out or not.

Old Sturbridge Village was always a great trip as well.

This is a fun natural history museum (or I remember it being so when I was in 4th grade which was quite a time ago)

http://www.fairbanksmuseum.org/

Looks like Fort 4 opens in May.

Fairbanks looks interesting. We will be up there looking at the graves of my father's great grand parents.

We were just in Boston a few weeks ago.

We LOVED Plimouth Plantation and the Freedom Trail. You can easily spend a day at PP and 2 days on the Freedom Trail. In our case, I think we could easily have enjoyed the Freedom Trail for 3 days, mostly because ds was so delighted with the USS Constitution and the destroyer tour (right next to the USS Constitution).

We stayed in a lakeside cottage an hour outside of Boston. It was easy to take the train in and use public transportation.

We were just in Boston a few weeks ago.

We LOVED Plimouth Plantation and the Freedom Trail. You can easily spend a day at PP and 2 days on the Freedom Trail. In our case, I think we could easily have enjoyed the Freedom Trail for 3 days, mostly because ds was so delighted with the USS Constitution and the destroyer tour (right next to the USS Constitution).

This was our experience, too. Loved both. Since you're going in April, I would try to hit Concord/Lexington when they have the re-enactment of the shot heard round the world...the 18th of April in 75... We were there in April and it was great.

Vermont has the Ben and Jerry's factory outside of Burlington. It's a very short tour, but fun. I'm sure there's lots to do in that area, but we were just there for a hockey tournament, so we didn't do a lot of sight-seeing. My dh says downtown Burlington is interesting, but older ds said it was a ' hippie town' (his new favourite phrase!)

I second Ben and Jerry's....also the quarry (I think it is in Barre VT?) is really interesting and fun. When we went they did a bus up to the actual quarry and you got to see them working in the pit. It was really cool. Also if you are up to $$$ the Boston Museum of Science is AWESOME!

So far on my list is the Met Museum of Art, the Natural History Museum in NYC, and Old Sturbridge Village.

What else? We will be in R.I. to visit someone, too.

I have two weeks there, the boys can stay longer and travel further.

We are looking for more field-trippy history, art, natural sciences, but a "fun" thing for a break would be okay, too.

What have you loved/found worthwhile? Thanks.

ETA: Oh, and the Cloisters and Central Park: zoo, statue of Balto and the pond where Stuart Little raced his boat.

If you'll be driving thru CT on your way to Beantown, Mystic Seaport and Mystic Aquarium are worthwhile stops. The Mashantucket Pequot Indian Museum is also wonderful.

In Boston, we enjoyed the duck tours, the Gardner Museum, and the Paul Revere house (it's very small but interesting). The public garden is beautiful to walk through. Haven't taken the kids yet, but the Museum of Science was a fav when I was young.

For NYC, we did the Tenement Museum last year and that was very interesting.

Sounds like a wonderful trip :)

The Statue of Liberty was a favorite of ours in NYC. Freedom trail in Boston. The mansions in Newport RI and the Roger Williams Zoo in Providence. Take in a Pawtucket Red Sox game. Montshire Museum in Norwich Vt. Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge.