Menu

Favorite books for beginning readers?

Mom28kds

I'm looking for books for my beginner readers to go along with a phonics program. I'm doing ABEKA phonics and it's going great but want some books to go with it. Ones that have CVC words etc. Not hard words they'd have to guess at.

What do you like?

Abekah - first readers

Bob books

I see sam?

Any others that I don't know about.

Opinions please :001_smile:

There is a 12 book set called Usborne Phonics Readers that is nice. Amazon carries it, my library has it as well.

I think this is the one at my library too. Does the parent read one side and the child reads the other? It's nice to read a story that isn't just cats on mats.

My ds likes the simple Dr. Seuss books. We also just discovered some early phonics books at our library. They are from the "Sounds Like Reading Series" by Brian Cleary (he also does silly books about the parts of speech). Another option is progressivephonics.com. You can set up a free account and read the books on-line or print them out. Starfall.com also has phonics books you can read on the computer. Some day I will learn how to attach direct links:glare:!!

To Mrs. Lilac - I checked out the "Now I'm Reading" series by Nora Gaydos and really liked what I saw. I found a website call innovativekids.com that also had games and flashcards from this author that can be used with this series. Have you ever tried any of these? I did see that her phonics readers have really great reviews on Amazon. Thanks for the info!