Menu

De-schooling.

I think I may have figured out our problem. barely two months into the school year and we are having a constant battle. After reading some homeschooling and unschooling blogs last night I think I get it. For the last 4 years, all DD9 has had to do is sit in a desk and be fed information. No wonder she has no desire to go FIND information. No want to learn anything on her own. She is waiting for me to feed her what she needs to know. Not any of the wonderful, interesting, useful information that is out there, just the facts to pass the test so she can go to recess. :glare: Not happening.

How do I get the Public School OUT of this kid???

I think I may have figured out our problem. barely two months into the school year and we are having a constant battle. After reading some homeschooling and unschooling blogs last night I think I get it. For the last 4 years, all DD9 has had to do is sit in a desk and be fed information. No wonder she has no desire to go FIND information. No want to learn anything on her own. She is waiting for me to feed her what she needs to know. Not any of the wonderful, interesting, useful information that is out there, just the facts to pass the test so she can go to recess. :glare: Not happening.

How do I get the Public School OUT of this kid???

Time and patience. I have homeschooled from the beginning buy my SIL pulled her to oldest out after 3rd & 4th. This is their second year homeschooling but it's still a work in progress. One thing she had to do was start from the beginning in some subjects. She did FLL level one quickly before starting grade level work. She went back to basics with math and worked on math facts and concepts so they could understand when do do a problem not just how. Her children are very bright, one might even be gifted but they were just lacking in the ability to think and figure things out. There has been vast improvement but there's still a long way to go. I try to remind her that the ps had them for 5 years so she needs to extend grace to them and herself and not expect it to be fixed overnight.

In a way you have to get the public school out of yourself- kwim?

What is your vision for your kids/ educating them?

Educating your kids consists of your vision, God's provision (or, depending on your theology, what you can provide) and your kid. I've written about it here.

I also think it boils down to creating a lifestyle of learning. I've written about that here.

I found it helpful for DS when we pulled him out to spend several days at the library with our school work. He could take breaks often to go roam the stacks and pick out things that were interesting to read (he was 5th grade then).

DD was littler (2nd grade) when we started homeschooling and she was easier to transition because she had big brother's example to follow. For both kids, the motivation to get done with their school work quickly and correctly came from wanting to get into their own projects - knex, legos, robots, crafty-stuff. Not all kiddos are interested in working indendently, though, so you may have to dig a bit to get your child motivated by something.

You have got to do it! Deschool! I made a huge mistake when we first started homeschooling. I pulled my kids out of school and recreated public school at home. It was a disaster and my son hated it just as much as he did public school. The period of time that we've been the most successful with homeschooling has been when learning became part of our lifestyle (if that makes any sense).

I just realized that my paragraph probably doesn't make any sense. I just painted the living room and dining room. The paint is probably affecting my post. :tongue_smilie: Doh!

Put the books away.

Go to the library and check out a ton of books. Listen to audiobooks in the car.

Go to museums and art exhibits. Go to playgrounds and ice skating.

Talk talk talk. Ask her what she is interested in and have that as a jumping off point for school.

:iagree: Yes, this!

If you're OCD like me :D you purpose Not To Do School, and then you don't do anything that looks remotely like school for as long as you can bear it.

You still require things like household responsibilities, personal hygene (how do you spell that???), activities like church. You can limit screens, if you like, if your dc has a propensity to sit in front of them forever.

And you go to the library if it's feasable, although you don't notice if dc checks out any books or not; you read aloud from good books just for fun; you let dc join 4-H or Girl Scouts/Camp Fire/whatever, and work on badges with her.

*I* would probably not do co-op, although support group activities would be fine (occasional field trips, park day if your weather allows for it), or casual get-togethers with friends (no "play dates"--all family members hanging out together).

It would probably be helpful for you to read John Holt, even if you never intend to unschool, because that's the best way to wipe the school mentality out of your own brain cells.

Thank you so much ladies! It's kind of validating to hear others say what I think I know.

My biggest problem is that I worry about the time spent NOT learning. But I know there is no way to foster a love for learning if I am sitting on top of her, cramming math down her throat. :tongue_smilie: I also realize that that might push our already fragile relationship right over the edge.

Thank you for 'giving me permission' to relax and work on things other than school! ( I'm not really too worried. She is a very bright girl and if I can get her to love learning, there will be no stopping her!)