Menu

IS CLE solid for math?

heidip2p

I am so sorry for all of the math questions today.

Is CLE a really solid math curriculum? Would I need to supplement? If my kids use it through high school will they be ready for higher education if they choose?

I want to find a program, if I can, that will carry us through the next few years.

I believe it is. We use Life of Fred as a supplement (for fun) with the lower levels. I thought of using Art of Problem Solving Kitchen table math as a supplement also but there is too much overlap - it is not necessary, at least at the lower levels. When I compared scope and sequence, CLE covered it all and then some.

At the middle school and higher levels we may supplement with AOPS if we veer away from supplementing with LOF; I'm not sure what we will do at that point.

CLE is solid. It got my oldest dd back on track when we took her out of public school in 8th grade. The very first level has a lot of drill and sort of plods along but persist and it will pay off. They have a way of gradually introducing concepts that make learning easy. There have only been a few times when I have taught a math concept differently because I knew an easier method.

I find CLE to be very solid. It is pretty well scripted. It lists the review material you should go over each day. My eldest really enjoys not having to copy math problems out of a book onto notebook paper.

We have used Horizons (too overwhelming for dd) and MUS left too many holes for our comfort. We tried R&S as well. It was strong on drill, but very dull. CLE is a good middle ground. It drills the facts, covers new material and older material with a nice amount of review, and manages to keep things going at a comfortable pace. It's not about thinking mathematically (like Miquon, RightStart, Singapore, Math Mammoth). It's more about learning and retaining the necessary facts so a child can be competently prepared for the future.

I hope this helps.

I would separate your K-6 math program requirements from your high school math program requirements. They do not need to be from the same publisher. For K-6, I think CLE Math is an excellent program. I personally would add in some other resources to make sure your child is able to work outside the program. Singapore's CWP is excellent for this, providing meatier word problems.

You don't want to use the higher CLE maths that aren't Sunrise edition. I can't remember if they've released Algebra or not, but I know they don't have Sunrise beyond that. If you use CLE math for grades 1-6, you could either use CLE 700 for prealgebra or use a regular textbook for prealgebra. Then you pick whatever text you want for algebra, geometry, etc. They can be different publishers. Just select based on your and your child's needs. There are many options out there, including options with video instruction.

I would separate your K-6 math program requirements from your high school math program requirements. They do not need to be from the same publisher. For K-6, I think CLE Math is an excellent program. I personally would add in some other resources to make sure your child is able to work outside the program. Singapore's CWP is excellent for this, providing meatier word problems.

:iagree:

We've been using it for almost five years now. Not that this is everything, but their standardized test scores are outstanding. We use it only through pre-algebra though, and then switch to Saxon for Algebra I and up.

I've never added anything else, but do I quiz them orally on new topics and do spot checks of problems where I have them work with me watching. If you use it as hands-off curriculum, you may not get as good results.