Menu

Type 1 Diabetes

Yes. My dd2, 12, was diagnosed 2 months ago tomorrow.

One funny and somewhat TWTM-related incident -- when we were receiving our "education" about diabetes, the endo of course asked where dd2 went to school. We said that we homeschool. The doctor CHEERED!!!!! Apparently dealing with schools, nurses, field trips, peer pressure, etc. makes taking care of diabetes in school challenging. The doctor was SO psyched that we homeschool!

Diabetes is a challenge, isn't it? But God is good, and we have actually received SO many blessings through dd's diabetes.....

One funny and somewhat TWTM-related incident -- when we were receiving our "education" about diabetes, the endo of course asked where dd2 went to school. We said that we homeschool. The doctor CHEERED!!!!! Apparently dealing with schools, nurses, field trips, peer pressure, etc. makes taking care of diabetes in school challenging. The doctor was SO psyched that we homeschool!

Our Dr is always excited when we remind him we homeschool:lol:.

I am happy to not have to deal with schools, diabetes is a pain enough without the added pressure.

Yes. My dd2, 12, was diagnosed 2 months ago tomorrow.

Diabetes is a challenge, isn't it? But God is good, and we have actually received SO many blessings through dd's diabetes.....

Our Endo is also very supportive of our homeschooling. Dd7 also has Celiac and he feels it would be too much for the school to handle both for someone so young. FYI. :D

Our Endo is also very supportive of our homeschooling. Dd7 also has Celiac and he feels it would be too much for the school to handle both for someone so young. FYI. :D

Jenny, you mentioned Celiac. My Dd3 is in a study about the onset of Type I Diabetes called the Teddy Study. She is in a high risk group because of a certain gene she carries. She is tested every 3 months for any signs of diabetes. One of the things they test for is Celiac. She tested positive 3 months ago, but has no symptoms. She will be tested again Friday. Anyway, the doctor who is in charge of the study told us that Celiac and Type I Diabetes often are found in the same children.

(And I don't know why I told you all of this information except that if I hear soon that she has Celiac or Type I Diabetes, I may ask you for information...)

Jenny, you mentioned Celiac. My Dd3 is in a study about the onset of Type I Diabetes called the Teddy Study. She is in a high risk group because of a certain gene she carries. She is tested every 3 months for any signs of diabetes. One of the things they test for is Celiac. She tested positive 3 months ago, but has no symptoms. She will be tested again Friday. Anyway, the doctor who is in charge of the study told us that Celiac and Type I Diabetes often are found in the same children.

(And I don't know why I told you all of this information except that if I hear soon that she has Celiac or Type I Diabetes, I may ask you for information...)

Sure! Ask away... Oh, my other daughter 12 also has Celiac. Thankfully not type-1 (so far).

Yes - my 9 yr old dd was diagnosed in February. She's doing relatively well, but, well, diabetes really stinks! I must concur with the others, though, that homeschooling is really ideal for dealing with the diabetes. I can't imagine how hard/tricky it would be to send her to school.

Wow! I wasn't aware of this link possibility. I have a friend whose son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 18 months of age. He has also been diagnosed with celiac, but only about a year ago, at age 9 or 10, although with hindsight he did show symptoms for a long time.

I was wondering - do any of your type 1's have a pump? And what kind?

I think our endo will tell us more about it at dd's next visit. From the snippets we have heard already, dd really wants one. Dh, on the other hand, is opposed to it. :confused: I think he will be okay with it, though, once he knows more about it and how much dd wants it.

Our endo hasn't talked much about the pump. I think it is because we are still in the honeymoon phase. I don't know that my dd would want the pump. In the summer we swim a lot. Could you wear it when you swim?

I think our endo will tell us more about it at dd's next visit. From the snippets we have heard already, dd really wants one. Dh, on the other hand, is opposed to it. :confused: I think he will be okay with it, though, once he knows more about it and how much dd wants it.

My friend's boy has been on a pump since he was about 4 years old. He can take it off for swimming. By the way, this kid has always been in school. He did go to a small charter school until last year where he was not just a number, but now he is in a regular public elementary school for 5th grade. So far so good. I have to say that this kid has always been pretty responsible about his diabetes, and has known how to program his pump and to calculate everything since he was very young.

We are! And we love it. Fi went on the pump at 3 1/2. She uses the Deltec Cozmo. Her A1C's have been awesome (just had a 5.6). It's not for everyone, as it does require a little more work that multi-dose injections, but I believe it is so much better. Sick days are no longer scary, much more flexibility in eating, like covering fatty foods with combination or extended bolus', and as many as 24 basel rates. Fi's pump has meal makers with a whole food "catalogue" with carb counts for most all common foods (fruits, veggies, grains, and prepared items like pizza).

There are some great bks on the subject. There is also a wealth of experience on the CWD boards and the http://www.insulinpumpforums.com/

Hope this helps!

How long till your child was able to switch to a pump? My dd will not eat except for her 3 meals a day. She just doesn't want more shots than she has to have.

Fi was dx at 13 months, if I had been more aggressive, I think I could have gotten her on the pump within a year of her dx. Instead we suffered with that awful NPH for a year, before switching to Lantus and Humalog for another year. Fi was 3 1/2 when she finally went on the pump. Our situation was also complicated by the Celiac (undiagnosed at the time), which was causing her awful lows. We thought it was just the NPH, but it kept happening even after switching to Lantus (still that was a vast improvement over the NPH). She was dx with the Celiac about the same time we started pumping. Both the dx of Celiac and the pump, was a gift... we could have almost a normal life again.

Hope this helps~

Her Gastro always has Type 1 Diabetes in mind at her now yearly checkups. They are both autoimmune diorders that share close gentic links. I am not sure what the percentage of kids having both, but it is pretty high.

For the poster with the child who has it and has no symptoms, are you keeping her gluten free? I ask because I suspect I have a asymptomatic child with it and our Gastro is concerned about futire problems-- like early onset osteporosis and fertility problems if it is left untreated. Apparently, there can still be damage done even if there is no outward sign. I would be interested in what your endo told you.

My dh has been a type I diabetic since he was 18. About 3 years into our marriage the pumps came out. It has made a tremendous difference in our lives. There are not as many lows. It also gives him freedom with his meals.

His is a Medtronic the model that just came out. He is on his second pump now.

It takes some training and time to learn how to use it but it is well worth it! I highly recommend it.

Does anyone have the continuous glucose monitor that works with the Medtronic pump?

My friend's boy had this for sometime, then insurance stopped covering it and they had to switch back to the old one. While he had it, they loved it.

This is our issue as well. The insurance will not cover the meter or the very expensive probes. I think dh would really benefit from it as he forgets to test his sugar. His hemoglobin A1C is pretty high right now because he hates going low (male pride issue and I do not blame him). I really wish our insurance covered the glucose monitor.

Maybe next year.....

Her Gastro always has Type 1 Diabetes in mind at her now yearly checkups. They are both autoimmune diorders that share close gentic links. I am not sure what the percentage of kids having both, but it is pretty high.

For the poster with the child who has it and has no symptoms, are you keeping her gluten free? I ask because I suspect I have a asymptomatic child with it and our Gastro is concerned about futire problems-- like early onset osteporosis and fertility problems if it is left untreated. Apparently, there can still be damage done even if there is no outward sign. I would be interested in what your endo told you.

My older daughter was asymptomatic too. I keep her on a strike GF diet to reduce her chances of getting Type-1 as well as all sorts of cancers that have been linked to Celiac. Yes, even w/o the classic symptoms, there is damage being done to the villi in the small intestines.

This is our issue as well. The insurance will not cover the meter or the very expensive probes. I think dh would really benefit from it as he forgets to test his sugar. His hemoglobin A1C is pretty high right now because he hates going low (male pride issue and I do not blame him). I really wish our insurance covered the glucose monitor.

Maybe next year.....

Same here! If only they would, maybe I could get a little more sleep at night! Ugh.