Menu

The Checklist

thowell

• 4 weeks later...

I have used this for about a year now. I really, really like it. I use it as guide just to make sure I do not have any gaps or that I miss something. Some use it to plan out curriculum but that was more complicated than I wanted. I really just wanted a way to ease my mind in making sure we had it all covered. Every few weeks I sit down with it and check it off for each child. If I see we may miss something I find an easy way to cover it.

I have used this for about a year now. I really, really like it. I use it as guide just to make sure I do not have any gaps or that I miss something. Some use it to plan out curriculum but that was more complicated than I wanted. I really just wanted a way to ease my mind in making sure we had it all covered. Every few weeks I sit down with it and check it off for each child. If I see we may miss something I find an easy way to cover it.

This is really how I was thinking of using it. I think having the other ideas for unit studies is nice too but more to cover all gaps. Did you purchase the hard copy or e-book. I think I will give it a try. At the least it seems like it would make evaluations easier.

I purchased the ebook. It was a lot of printing but all black ink. I believe at the time there was huge price difference between the ebook and printed copy. Plus, I was being really impatient and wanted it now.:001_smile:

I am very happy with it and consider it one of my best homeschooling purchases...and there have many over the years.

I like it, but I don't use it as a tool for measuring what we need to do, but rather as a record to show my children what they've learned.
Same here.

I bought the book when it was first published. I just go through the book 2-3 times a year and note things we have studied. If I see anything 'around that area' (ie: tied to something we did study) I might make a mental note to go find a book on xyz... Otherwise, I am just using it to make sure we don't have any glaring holes at the end of the line.

I do use it slightly differently than planned, I think. I note my child's age at the time we studied the topic, so some lines may have '6,7,8' or '6,9' etc. I will just continue adding his age to the line if it is something that comes up multiple times. If I feel like we have exhausted a topic, I may add a final "!"

I would have to say the checklist is broken down more. I just downloaded my copy today and WOW! For each subject she has listed the different topics to be covered. Then each topic is broken down into people, specific events, vocabulary to learn, special skills, and much more. I am feeling a little intimidated but i can see how this could be a very useful tool. I sat down today to check off what we have studied. I was easily able to see which areas we needed to cover. Using her lists would make it very easy to create your own unit study or to make sure a program you chose is complete.