Menu

Do I need a tetanus shot?

Be completely certain of the answer to this question...

Have you had a tetanus shot within the past 10 years? If so, then you don't need one for this incident. If not, then I would definitely go to see your Dr. and let them know what happened. I will venture to say that you will receive one!

Jen

Be completely certain of the answer to this question...

Have you had a tetanus shot within the past 10 years? If so, then you don't need one for this incident. If not, then I would definitely go to see your Dr. and let them know what happened. I will venture to say that you will receive one!

Jen

:iagree: WSS (what she said)

Here's what I remember from The Sewing Needle in the Carpet Episode:

1) Adults should get tetanus boosters every 10 years.

2) If you step on something that could cause tetanus and it's been greater than five years since that last shoot, go get a booster within 2 days (or was it three).

Tetanus bacteria are anaerobic -- they need an oxygen free environment. So, if you scrape your knee on something, no issue because all the wound is exposed to the air. However, if something is deep where air won't get to the deepest part of the wound, you need the shot (unless your booster was within the last 5 years). And, even clean things (ie. "not rusty") can have tetanus spores.

Tetanus is nasty. It's super rare in USA because we vaccinate. I actually knew a guy here in USA that got tetanus (they thought it was encephalitis at first...)! It's more common in third-world country where infants get it and it kills them.

Since you had a shot in 2008, you should be just fine! That was 3 years ago, so you are in that window.

However, while tetanus won't get you, ordinary staph and strep germs could. Keep an eye on the wound and keep it clean and if it gets angry or red or streaky, go in.

Edited by Bassoonaroo

Glad you asked and checked with your doctor before getting a shot. Lots of people would just do it, so pat on the back! Unnecessary medical intervention is never a good thing.

I would suggest you soak the wound in salt water to help keep other infections at bay. Salt water is miraculous! I've actually had infections in my toenail twice now complete with red streak, I soaked in salt water several times in a day, it was gone. I hope you heal up quickly, the foot is a tender place for a wound. :)