Menu

Am I preparing well for high school?

Hi there!

I am currently schooling 8th gr, 6th gr, 4th gr, 2nd gr, PreK and I have two year old twins. I'm expecting baby #8 in June. My plan is to have my oldest doing MFW for high school next year.

Could anyone glance at what I'm doing now and tell me if I'm on the right track in regards to my current 8th gr dd?

Math: this has been her biggest struggle, we're now doing MUS and LOF, hoping to get to pre Algebra by spring. Plus she takes an outside math class.

Science: Apologia Biology, so far going great!

Rosetta Stone Spanish and Latina Christiana

Rod and Staff English, IEW, Apples for Spelling, Wordly Wise for LA

SL Core 7

Piano lessons

One day a week at an enrichment co op, this includes the extra math, digital animation, Shakespeare, drama, a class on reading comprehension. Fun stuff that ties in well with what we're doing at home.

I would love your input as I think ahead to next year! :)

My oldest has used MFW for high school.... she's in 10th grade currently.

let me think out loud with you...

math: you're doing what you need to do. so that's good.

science: what are your plans for science next year? I'm thinking that in terms of math prep.

Language Arts: next year in MFW AHL, she'll do a lot of reading and literature analysis. Consider audio books to help, as well as something along the lines of Spark Notes. possibly continue tutoring with reading comprehension.

She needs to be able to write a well developed paragraph - you're probably there with IEW, right?

The first week in AHL (mfw high school year 1), the student will learn the format of an argumentative essay. It doesn't have to be at college level yet. The student needs to be able to write several paragraphs. The instructions walk the student through the process and checklist. It's a learning week.

I'm not seeing a lot of big glaring things sticking out in what you are doing. Your child will do well in AHL if she learns to follow a syllabus and stay on track with lessons and is doing her best effort. If reading pace is an issue, don't be afraid of audio books or audio version of Bible.

just one opinion and I probably missed stuff

-crystal

One thing you may want to consider is dropping the one day of co-op. I know it's so much fun and provides great learning opportunities and all, but you may find that in high school there just isn't enough time to devote to a full day outside the home. It can be done, but make sure you plan for it. I'm thinking especially in terms of math. I'd be inclined to do 6 days per week on math to help her catch up a bit.

The question asked about science is a good one as her choices will be very limited until she's at least mostly through algebra. A conceptual course might work. Has she done Apologia's Physical Science? If she did, how did she manage with the math? That doesn't require algebra, but it does involve lots of measurement conversions, scientific notation ...

For Spanish you will probably want to add in some grammar and writing work to fill out Rosetta Stone. What will she use for Latin next year?

Sounds like you're preparing her well for high school. :)

One thing you may want to consider is dropping the one day of co-op. I know it's so much fun and provides great learning opportunities and all' date=' but you may find that in high school there just isn't enough time to devote to a full day outside the home.[/quote']

:iagree: Unfortunately, I agree with Teachin'Mine on this point. High school really is a whole "nuther" ballgame, and it is hard to stay on top of things if you have a whole day out. I really miss my high schooler! She is working many hours to stay on top of things.

"One day a week at an enrichment co op, this includes the extra math, digital animation, Shakespeare, drama, a class on reading comprehension. Fun stuff that ties in well with what we're doing at home. "

and agreeing that a full day co-op might not work at high school level. you can still do something outside, but not a full day usually. But you will still have time for electives in high school, just maybe not that much. but in terms of doing good stuff to be ready for high school.... yes, taking the class in 8th grade seems to be providing other elements needed.

-crystal

Thank you for the replies! Some follow up thoughts:

You all just eased my worry about the fact that co op ends at 8th grade. :) It won't even be an option next year, and your input helps confirm that I DON't need to stress about finding a replacement activity.

We actually chose to do Bio this year to give her more time to catch up on math. I plan to have her do Physical Science next year with ds, then move on to Chem, Physics, not sure about 12th grade science yet.

Any suggestions for what to add to RS Spanish for more grammar?

I forgot to mention PE! We did swim team over the summer. Right now we're just staying active with walks, the Wii, and it's finally cooled off enough for bike riding. We may do something more formal in Spring, we'll see.

For now, for Latin, we'll keep going with Latina Christiana. Is there a Level 2 for that? That would be an option for next year, need to check on that.

She is a perfectionist with writing! This kid LOVES rewriting! :) What I may do now is more daily paragraph writing. I know she's going to be frustrated if we don't increase her speed a bit.

As far as reading goes, she has really taken off! She is speeding through LOTR right now, totally on her own. It wasn't assigned, she's just doing it for fun. :)

One thing you may want to consider is dropping the one day of co-op. I know it's so much fun and provides great learning opportunities and all' date=' but you may find that in high school there just isn't enough time to devote to a full day outside the home. It can be done, but make sure you plan for it. I'm thinking especially in terms of math. I'd be inclined to do 6 days per week on math to help her catch up a bit.

For Spanish you will probably want to add in some grammar and writing work to fill out Rosetta Stone. What will she use for Latin next year?

Sounds like you're preparing her well for high school. :)[/quote']

High school requires a lot more time on academics. I have mine in an academic co-op this year, but I'm dropping it for the oldest next year because the subjects really aren't meeting his needs and he gets more done on his own.

My Father's World has a great syllabus for Rosetta Stone that brings it up to high school credit. We're using it for both Spanish and Russian here.

For Latin you need a high school level program. Maybe Helne with the Memoria Press guides?

Any suggestions for what to add to RS Spanish for more grammar?

I forgot to mention PE! We did swim team over the summer. Right now we're just staying active with walks, the Wii, and it's finally cooled off enough for bike riding. We may do something more formal in Spring, we'll see.

BBC has free Spanish curriculum online:

Have you checked out Family Time Fitness? It's great for the whole family.

For now, for Latin, we'll keep going with Latina Christiana. Is there a Level 2 for that? That would be an option for next year, need to check on that.

She is a perfectionist with writing! This kid LOVES rewriting! :) What I may do now is more daily paragraph writing. I know she's going to be frustrated if we don't increase her speed a bit.

As far as reading goes, she has really taken off! She is speeding through LOTR right now, totally on her own. It wasn't assigned, she's just doing it for fun. :)

There is a level 2 for that but I think the recommendation from MP is to go to First Form after LCI. I read somewhere that once Second Form is finished one high school credit for Latin can be awarded. You might not want to take 2 years for one credit though. Another poster mentioned Henle. I've not used it but MP does have a study guide to help with it. I just wanted to advise you *not* to do LCII.

BBC has free Spanish curriculum online:

Have you checked out Family Time Fitness? It's great for the whole family.

High school requires a lot more time on academics. I have mine in an academic co-op this year, but I'm dropping it for the oldest next year because the subjects really aren't meeting his needs and he gets more done on his own.

My Father's World has a great syllabus for Rosetta Stone that brings it up to high school credit. We're using it for both Spanish and Russian here.

For Latin you need a high school level program. Maybe Helne with the Memoria Press guides?

There is a level 2 for that but I think the recommendation from MP is to go to First Form after LCI. I read somewhere that once Second Form is finished one high school credit for Latin can be awarded. You might not want to take 2 years for one credit though. Another poster mentioned Henle. I've not used it but MP does have a study guide to help with it. I just wanted to advise you *not* to do LCII.

Thanks for this info! I will look into those. My head is just spinning! I feel like I'm back to when I was starting homeschooling again. I guess in time I'll build my confidence back up for high school? I hope? :)

My oldest has used MFW for high school.... she's in 10th grade currently.

let me think out loud with you...

math: you're doing what you need to do. so that's good.

science: what are your plans for science next year? I'm thinking that in terms of math prep.

Language Arts: next year in MFW AHL, she'll do a lot of reading and literature analysis. Consider audio books to help, as well as something along the lines of Spark Notes. possibly continue tutoring with reading comprehension.

She needs to be able to write a well developed paragraph - you're probably there with IEW, right?

The first week in AHL (mfw high school year 1), the student will learn the format of an argumentative essay. It doesn't have to be at college level yet. The student needs to be able to write several paragraphs. The instructions walk the student through the process and checklist. It's a learning week.

I'm not seeing a lot of big glaring things sticking out in what you are doing. Your child will do well in AHL if she learns to follow a syllabus and stay on track with lessons and is doing her best effort. If reading pace is an issue, don't be afraid of audio books or audio version of Bible.

just one opinion and I probably missed stuff

-crystal

Thank you again! This has given me a lot to think about for next year. :)

One thing you may want to consider is dropping the one day of co-op. I know it's so much fun and provides great learning opportunities and all' date=' but you may find that in high school there just isn't enough time to devote to a full day outside the home. It can be done, but make sure you plan for it. I'm thinking especially in terms of math. I'd be inclined to do 6 days per week on math to help her catch up a bit.

The question asked about science is a good one as her choices will be very limited until she's at least mostly through algebra. A conceptual course might work. Has she done Apologia's Physical Science? If she did, how did she manage with the math? That doesn't require algebra, but it does involve lots of measurement conversions, scientific notation ...

Sounds like you're preparing her well for high school. :)[/quote']

:iagree: Unfortunately, I agree with Teachin'Mine on this point. High school really is a whole "nuther" ballgame, and it is hard to stay on top of things if you have a whole day out. I really miss my high schooler! She is working many hours to stay on top of things.

"One day a week at an enrichment co op, this includes the extra math, digital animation, Shakespeare, drama, a class on reading comprehension. Fun stuff that ties in well with what we're doing at home. "

and agreeing that a full day co-op might not work at high school level. you can still do something outside, but not a full day usually. But you will still have time for electives in high school, just maybe not that much. but in terms of doing good stuff to be ready for high school.... yes, taking the class in 8th grade seems to be providing other elements needed.

-crystal