Menu

A ? for all SWR users...

I'm trying to come up with review ideas for the summer. My son just finished list K and I dont' want to go any furhter right now. He spells well when we do lessons together and I remind him of spelling rules, etc. When he writes on his own however, it's not so good. I think he just needs practice so over the next couple of months I was going to review one old list/day + have him write one original sentence. I'm going way back to list D for review.

Does anyone have any other good review ideas?

Well I'd suggest going all the way back to list A, because the repetition through the lists helps cement things. (I've actually taken my dd *3* times through most of the lists!!) The first time through he gets the concept, and the next time the spelling starts to stick, having a peg to hang on. Then as he uses it over and over it finally becomes natural. And as for what to do during the summer, well how about reviewing your phonograms one day, rules the next, and playing a game with them on Fridays. Then for the words, I suggest dictating sentences. It could be the sentences from the Wise Guide (another good reason to go all the way back to A) or ones you make up. If you do just two a day, by the end of the summer, he'd cover all the words from A-K. Then you could go back through them formally (making a log) when you start over in the fall. So for your summer work, you'd just be dictating sentences, no log or anything. Or, like you say, you could give him the two words for the day and he could write an original sentence. Dictation is a really good exercise and allows you to sneak in other words too, so you might do a bit of each, having him write original sentences once or twice a week and you giving him dictation sentences the other days. Just depends on how much he likes writing those original sentences I guess. I wouldn't feel compelled to do a ton. Just do something, in sensible quantities, consistently. And rather than expecting the words to get nailed the 2nd time through, view it is as something he can do in the summer in a new way and again in the fall for his 3rd exposure. I'll bet by that time through things will have started to click and carry over into his writing, and it would have been totally painless. Keep it painless!

BTW, if he learns better with kinesthetic things or auditory or whatever, work with that. You could play Mother-May-I, draw words in the sand, use them for hangman, etc., whatever works with how he learns best. I'd keep that summer review light and painless, totally fun. In the fall go back to your formal work. That's my suggestion.

OhElizabeth's recommendations are great. I'd do it and see where you land.

As a side note: Most kids don't actually spell well with writing activities until well into 9-10yo. My 9 yo dd tests above grade level on spelling tests but her usage is just now getting better. From talking with others I found that this is very very common so if that is your main concern, don't worry. It all comes together later on down the road. I posted recently about this...there are so many things kids have to keep straight while spelling: sitting in chair, holding pencil, listening, sitting in chair, spelling, nice handwriting, stay on the line.... Like I said, it all comes together down the road. Nothin' to worry about!

Thanks to both of you for the advice and the encouragement! Since my oldest is only 7 1/2, I'm still trying to figure out the "when it all comes together" thing. I generally don't worry too much about comparisons with other kids or placement levels but it's still good to hear from others who've been there! :grouphug:

I break out the scrabble board and turn all of the tiles letter side up. We work through the word lists for review and I try to give them in a way that my dc are able to connect them just like in the game. Sometimes we "play" for points, but usually just for fun. Once we get to a point where we need more letters in our draw bin, we simply pull off a word or two of their choosing and continue on. It has really been quite popular with my dc.

We also use the spelling rules, phonograms, and word flashcards as a way to get to take turns playing other games (indoor and outdoor types). One "game" my dc enjoy is placing each of the phonograms and spelling rule cards in a path leading them through an obstacle course. For example, step through a hoola-hoop, climb over the footstool, go around the dining room table (or even under it..lol).

My dc are 8yo and 5yo and we have been using the program for 3 years. I think your son is moving through the program just fine. Have some fun with it this summer.