Menu

For those of you doing SM 4 this year....

Halcyon

can you tell me what page of the textbook you've made it to? We've been using a lot of other math resources this year, and I want to be sure we're on track to finish 4 in a timely manner.

I do that too... feeling like if we spend extra time on one subject, we'll finish it later than I'd wanted. But then I have to remind myself that it doesn't matter whether my kids finish a given book this month or in two years, as long as they're learning. So... I wouldn't worry about being 'on track'. I don't think there is a track... You get to make your own.

That said, we started SM with 3b this past summer and are now in 4a. My daughter was getting tired of that long fraction chapter and I was sensing a potential math-hating-breakdown, so we went through "Fractions as a set", moved over to the angles section and are going to go back and finish up the fractions in a week or so. I anticipate finishing 4a in a month or so. We'll move on to 4b after that.

We are, but we're in 4B. We went through 4A in just a couple of months. I'm not sure why that one went so quickly. Part of it is that I didn't slow him down this time; like you, I usually add other things, play more games, and even give math breaks when we are ahead. We also are only about 1/4 of the way through the CWP.

Okay so it sounds like we're okay. We're almost done with SM4A TB and WB (we've begun Geometry), and about 25% done with 4th year CWP. We're only about 25% done with IP4A, but we tend to skip around in that. I think we'll finish 4A in a couple of weeks, and then focus on IP.

Edited by Halcyon

We are on 4a, and up to page 90 or so IIRC. We are finishing up mixed/improper fractions. We have done a little bit of work (1/4 of it?) in CWP 3 and some in CWP 4.

We didn't start in full gear until the 3rd week of September as we go on vacation the first week of Sept.

DS1 is 7.5, and I'm finding we waste a lot of time fixing silly mistakes. He gets the math; he's just not great at double checking his answers independently and sometimes makes really silly errors, and that's rather time consuming. I need to start a thread about that, in fact. (expected for a 2nd grader working ahead in math at a more advanced level?).

Edited by Momof3littles

On November 3rd of last year, DD did the first part of 4A Chapter 3, section 2 (pp. 81-84). She finished 4A including the IP and CWP at the beginning of March and 4B at the end of June (the B books always seem to go faster).

Interesting. Thank you--so your daughter did the whole CWP by March?

Sorry, I should've clarified that she had finished the chapters in CWP 4 corresponding to topics in the 4A textbook by the beginning of March. She completed the rest of the CWP book by the end of June. She did not do the workbook, only the textbook, IP, and CWP. Now that I think more about it, 4A probably took longer than 4B because I had to supplement a couple of chapters in 4A with MM.