Menu

Would you eat this?

Okay, this is going to sound crazy. I bought a beef roast a few days ago that looked pretty light-colored in the package - more pink than the red you'd expect. I thought it was kind of weird, but they were all like that and I really wanted to make a roast this week. LOL.

It's cooking right now and it looks...weird. Actually, it looks quite like a pork roast in terms of the colour it's turning as it cooks. :confused:

I'm totally baffled and it's weirding me out! I make roasts pretty frequently and I've never seen this before.

It's an eye of round roast, which is not what I usually buy, so maybe this is normal?!

Feel free to laugh if this is a ludicrous question, hahaha. But I have to know!

Edited by WarriorMama
Autocorrect hates me

Did it feel slimy and sticky when you handled it? Not the regular kind of wetness you'd expect from meat, but something thicker? I was told once when I wasn't sure about using some beef, that if meat was starting to turn bad, it would feel this way first.

Did it feel slimy and sticky when you handled it? Not the regular kind of wetness you'd expect from meat, but something thicker? I was told once when I wasn't sure about using some beef, that if meat was starting to turn bad, it would feel this way first.

No, no sliminess that I noticed. And it was this light colour even when I bought it.

Thanks, but nope! It doesn't address my issue. I did google first before coming here and couldn't come up with any useful info.

So far these answers are less than reassuring, lol. I was kinda hoping for "Totally normal, go eat beef!". Maybe I should bust out the Halloween candy for dinner instead. ;)

As soon as I saw the title I knew my answer would be NO! I am firmly in the "when in doubt throw it out" camp when it comes to food.

PS. I have had food poisoning once in my life and I would rather starve than go through that again.

Edited by In2why
added PS

As soon as I saw the title I knew my answer would be NO! I am firmly in the "when in doubt throw it out" camp when it comes to food.

PS. I have had food poisoning once in my life and I would rather starve than go through that again.

I tend this way myself, but I'm trying not to overreact, lol

I asked him "Why would a cooked beef roast look like a pork roast?" and his reply was "Because it's veal. Or is this a trick question?" :lol:

Apparently there is an age limit to what can be called veal, and if a calf misses the cutoff it gets labeled beef even if it was milk-fed it's whole life. That's what causes the lighter meat.

If it were rotten, it would have an obvious smell that would have worsened with cooking.

Once it's cooked (he recommends using a meat thermometer) eat it.

I asked him "Why would a cooked beef roast look like a pork roast?" and his reply was "Because it's veal. Or is this a trick question?" :lol:

Apparently there is an age limit to what can be called veal, and if a calf misses the cutoff it gets labeled beef even if it was milk-fed it's whole life. That's what causes the lighter meat.

If it were rotten, it would have an obvious smell that would have worsened with cooking.

Once it's cooked (he recommends using a meat thermometer) eat it.

:lol:

Much much thanks to you both! Sounds like Wendy had it pegged!