Menu

Help deciphering acronyms for curriculum

charris

I am new to homeschooling and The Well Trained Mind.

My son's last day of public school, 1st grade, is next Friday (one week).

We have not had a lot of time to plan and am quite overwhelmed.

I have been reading posts on curriculum and also visiting curriculum websites.

But I am having a really hard time deciphering the acronyms used in signatures.

We have already ordered Handwriting Without Tears, and downloaded Mammoth Math. My son was doing quite well academically and is reading chapter books (we are currently reading through the Magic Tree House books, he will read a chapter, then I will read 3 or 4)

Any curriculum advise is much appreciated!

By the way, for what it's worth - a lot of parents take a while to "deschool" their kids after taking them out. So just hang out and have a good time for as long as you need to. You don't have to ramp up into full-blown curriculum right away, and some people suggest you absolutely shouldn't.

For a 6-year-old, I'd read Ruth Beechick if you can get your hands on any, or something else that takes a no-nonsense, just-the-basics approach. Maybe "What your first grader needs to know?" Then grow it from there.

p.s. Keep on reading - that's fantastic!

Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling.

Take it slow. Your son is in 1st grade. I made the mistake of buying everything, and then learning half of it didn't work with his learning style, or my teaching style. Just add in one subject at a time and you will be great. Have fun!