Menu

Curly girls- specifically if you have wavy hair

If your hair is more wavy than curly, have you ever had a devacurl or slice and cut (Ouidad) haircut? Was it worth it? There is a Ouidad certified salon about 25 miles from me, and a slice and cut is $120. I'm debating whether to put a gift certificate on my Christmas or birthday wish list.

Thanks!

I have paid $65 for a curly girl cut, and this is in our state capital. Double that, for wavy hair....that would be a tough call. Is there a Deva curl certified person nearby? They seem to be more prolific.

There is a devacurl salon even closer, but the charge is $150 for shoulder-length or less, and $175 for longer hair. Also, he uses only Devacurl products, which dry my hair out horribly. OTOH, the Ouidad products work great for my hair.

Did you love, love, love your hair after your devacurl cut? If so, I would consider stopping in Richmond the next time I go through that area. But I don't want to pay even $65 for a cut I won't love.

The Ouidad salon near me that charges $120 has a couple of 5-star reviews from people who classify their hair as wavy, so that's a plus.

Edited by LizzyBee

Twice. I found the stylist highly recommended on a curly hair website. Her curls were dyed jet black with pink streaks, so I was concerned :D, but she did a fabulous job for me. I got so many compliments on that cut. She gave a me a lot of advice on styling, products, etc., too.

Then that salon went out of business, and I have no idea where to find her. :glare:

Twice. I found the stylist highly recommended on a curly hair website. Her curls were dyed jet black with pink streaks, so I was concerned :D, but she did a fabulous job for me. I got so many compliments on that cut. She gave a me a lot of advice on styling, products, etc., too.

Then that salon went out of business, and I have no idea where to find her. :glare:

Oh, how disappointing!

If your hair is more wavy than curly, have you ever had a devacurl or slice and cut (Ouidad) haircut? Was it worth it? There is a Ouidad certified salon about 25 miles from me, and a slice and cut is $120. I'm debating whether to put a gift certificate on my Christmas or birthday wish list.

Thanks!

I have straight hair but my 15 yo dd has had wavy hair since puberty and she hates it. Would anyone mind explaining what these kinds of haircuts are? Just trying to find out if it is something my dd might be interested in at some point...

Thank you su much in advance!

I have straight hair but my 15 yo dd has had wavy hair since puberty and she hates it. Would anyone mind explaining what these kinds of haircuts are? Just trying to find out if it is something my dd might be interested in at some point...

Thank you su much in advance!

My understanding is that they cut each strand of hair separately and at a certain point of the curl so that the curls lay together with a nice pattern to them. If you go to youtube and search Ouidad slice and cut, there's a video there that shows a little bit, but it's not very detailed. There are 29 Ouidad videos on youtube; you dd might want to watch the ones on how to style curly/wavy hair.

Edited by LizzyBee

My understanding is that they cut each strand of hair separately and at a certain point of the curl so that the curls lay together with a nice pattern to them. If you go to youtube and search Ouidad slice and cut, there's a video there that shows a little bit, but it's not very detailed. There are 29 Ouidad videos on youtube; you dd might want to watch the ones on how to style curly/wavy hair.

It sounds as if it's something that would allow my dd to come to love her wavy hair! Those prices you guys were throwing around though sound scary! Thank you so much for your help.

It sounds as if it's something that would allow my dd to come to love her wavy hair! Those prices you guys were throwing around though sound scary! Thank you so much for your help.

Even without the special cut, she can love her waves if she learns how to maximize and care for them. There are two books that are different, but both good - Curly Girl and Curl Talk. There's also a good website at http://www.naturallycurly.com

A little off topic, but how in the world did I miss Ouidad's rake and shake method of styling all these years? I think my hair might be curlier today than it's ever been. It's a little shocking every time I walk by a mirror.

Edited by LizzyBee

I have wavy hair and the Ouidad cut is the best thing I have ever done. I have always struggled with my hair because it wasn't curly enough, but after the cut and using the products my hair is so much curlier and easier to manage. It is a lot of money, but worth every cent to me. I highly recommend it.

I have wavy hair and the Ouidad cut is the best thing I have ever done. I have always struggled with my hair because it wasn't curly enough, but after the cut and using the products my hair is so much curlier and easier to manage. It is a lot of money, but worth every cent to me. I highly recommend it.

Thanks! It's looking more and more like this will be on my wish list for Christmas. I always say I wish my hair would decide to be either curly or straight instead of this in-between state.