Menu

Need a math program

My dd10 has some processing and memory issues with regards to math (numbers just don't stick with her but words do). We have used Singapore in the past up to 3A but she is unable to retain the material. Some basic math facts leave her mind even though she is drilled. Frustrated here. I think we need to switch math programs into something with a ton of repetition. What would everyone suggest? Saxon?

My daughter who struggles with math really liked (ok, was the best that we tried) Christian Light Education math. You might have to go down a grade level as some of it is quite advanced but it was very good and had daily review.

If she is struggling with the basic math facts, I do suggest getting their flashcards as it tells you which ones to use when and it is easier with theirs as they are sorted. We did the daily timed drills but without timing them.

Jewel, we did a bit of CLE and I did like it (just to 2nd what Ottakee is saying!). With my dd I finally gave up and just let her use a multiplication table. Now that we're doing algebra, I take the things I want her to be able to say to explain her steps and I write them onto a 5X7 card that we keep beside us. So literally everything she needs is right there in front of her, no recall needed.

I wish in retrospect I had done a bit more with flashcards, and one of my intentions is to get an ipad (I'm saving my pennies!) and try to have her do some drill for automaticity that way. I think going back now, when she's older, might be less stressful for her, so that she knows them and is just trying to get them a bit faster or more automatic. The ipad is such an amazing thing, I'm just flabbergasted to see all the ways people use it.

Well, I couldn't wait for more replies so I went out bought Saxon. I have been vacillating on this decision far to long and just needed some resolution. I feel relieved-finally! Thank you for reminding me that flash cards are critical and to keep using them, however long that may be:)

I know you've already made your decision, but fwiw, I also thought that my dd11 needed more practice and repetition regarding math. She is a voracious reader and her learning more leans heavily towards auditory. Her strong suit has never been math. We've tried RightStart, Singapore Math, and we'd been doing Math Mammoth for the past two years. All the while, dd slugged along doing math but I knew there was no real meaning/understanding (RightStart did appeal to her but I found it too labor intensive at the time. In retrospect, I wish I had kept doing it with her). Anyway, a few weeks ago, as dd was transitioning into the next level of MM, I suggested she take a week off before starting the next level. We substituted it for Khan Academy and she hasn't looked back. She is emphatic in telling me what a difference it has made in learning the concepts. Watching/listening to the videos, then doing the practice problems have really made a difference for her. I could kick myself for not exploring this option sooner (well, actually, the first math curricula I purchased was MUS). I am now realizing that I really need to pay close attention to the way my children process information and their learning modalities. Even for myself, I've come to realize that I am a visual learner and I often catch myself saying "let me see" or "can I take a look at that?" Then I can form a picture in my mind and understand something much better. It's like the key to unlocking a door. In retrospect, I should have taken more time to look at the clues dd was giving me in order to help her along.

OhElizabeth,

Yes, at the moment, dd has only been working on the Khan Academy videos and practice problems. We've been doing them together. It's been easier for me to asses her work that way. The work has proven to be enough so far. The immediate feedback has been encouraging for her. She is highly motivated to pay attention to the videos and check her work (which has always been an issue).

ETA, It was difficult to let go of the math curriculum, but since doing so math is getting done without any threatening or cajoling on my part. Also, she gets to do Khan on the iPad (totally worth it). I've also got it armed with all kinds of apps. It's amazing how much "work" they are willing to do on this thing!

Edited by PenKase

Whatever math program you decide to use, you can try reading a couple math instruction books to get a few additional strategies to try with your dd. I really like:

How the Brain Learns Mathematics

Dyscalculia: Action Plans For Successful Learning in Mathematics

the Developing Number Concept Series by Kathy Richardson

In particular, I would look for ways to incorporate math manipulatives during your math lesson. I would not ask a 10yo child to use them as counters, but as models. I once had a conversation with my ds about how scientists build physical models to help them create a picture in their heads about what molecules look like and how they interact. We are doing the same thing to help us picture what these numbers are doing. We are not counting.

Contrary to some of the popular C-rod promotors on the K-8 board, I really don't think that there is one magic manipulative. I think Saxon has a manipulative kit, right? Here, we have a ridiculous number of math manipulatives, and they are all in rotation, but the ones we use most frequently are base-ten blocks, the AL-abacus, C-rods, place value discs, and unifix cubes. Find which ones work for your dd.

I personally would use flash cards only after doing plenty of modeling, having them talk about different strategies for deriving math facts, looking at math facts through games and puzzles. And then I'd use flash cards to solidify what they already know and develop automaticity. Even then, you could use flash cards in a way to reinforce number relationships and not just isolated facts by having her lay out the cards in a matrix as fast as she can, so she is thinking of an answer and putting that answer in some sort of context. Regular ol' flash card drill is just exceedingly hard, frustrating and boring for someone with processing and memory issues (ask me how I know ;)).

:iagree:with every.single.word!