Menu

Interesting e-mail

I just got an interesting e-mail from my youngest's World History teacher at our ps. Since he's new to the high school and not math/science, I'm not sure he's aware that I'm ____'s mom even though I've seen him in the hall a time or two and said hello to him.

Here's the e-mail:

I just wanted to give you a great update on ___'s performance in History class. ___ currently has a 98%, and continues to display great leadership, respect, and creativity. In my first year teaching at the high school, I have been amazed at the differences between 8th grade and 10th grade. Tenth graders appear to be easily influenced by their peers, yet no matter who ___ works with, he always brings a positive and up-beat attitude. It is because of students like ___ that my job so rewarding and fun.

Thanks a lot for all of your support.

Do you suppose I should e-mail him back and tell him it's because we homeschooled him from 5th to 8th that he is so well-adjusted and not like his "well-socialized" peers??? ;)

The 98% is true, but the kid never needs to study. I had him do the World History Final Exam last year (before having had the course) since I thought it was so basic and easy. He only missed one question... compared to the classes I saw tests for, he had the best grade...

Is it really because of homeschooling, or would he be like that anyway because of your influence/ teaching? I know plenty of peer-dependent homeschool students, so I tend to think it has more to do with the parents, no matter the educational choice.

I was kind of being tongue in cheek with that statement based on all the "poor socialization" generalizations that are often made. I am thinking I might tell him at some point in person. It could help overcome a popular homeschooling myth if he holds it. In general, I agree with you that all types of personalities can be found in all types of schooling.

For this particular guy? It's hard to tell if he would have been the same or not. We pulled him from ps after 4th grade and he was behind about 2 years in math and had asked to sit by himself as the other kids were "bugging him." (his words) He's come a long way and I'm extremely proud of him. He's even working with me (afterschooling) to overcome a below average ps. Staying at ps is his choice. He now likes the socializing that he formerly couldn't stand.

I just got an interesting e-mail from my youngest's World History teacher at our ps. Since he's new to the high school and not math/science, I'm not sure he's aware that I'm ____'s mom even though I've seen him in the hall a time or two and said hello to him.

Here's the e-mail:

I just wanted to give you a great update on ___'s performance in History class. ___ currently has a 98%, and continues to display great leadership, respect, and creativity. In my first year teaching at the high school, I have been amazed at the differences between 8th grade and 10th grade. Tenth graders appear to be easily influenced by their peers, yet no matter who ___ works with, he always brings a positive and up-beat attitude. It is because of students like ___ that my job so rewarding and fun.

Thanks a lot for all of your support.

Wait, he sent you this message without knowing that ____ is your son? :confused: In what context did he send it to you then?

Anyway, good for your son. Sounds like he's doing great!

Wait, he sent you this message without knowing that ____ is your son? :confused: In what context did he send it to you then?

Anyway, good for your son. Sounds like he's doing great!

I took that the other way 'round, that he sent the letter to _____'s Mother but didn't realize that the recipient was the teacher who nods to him in the hallway every morning.

I took that the other way 'round, that he sent the letter to _____'s Mother but didn't realize that the recipient was the teacher who nods to him in the hallway every morning.

Oh! That makes sense now. :lol:

It was just puzzling me to no end and I couldn't help asking.

:lol: Yes, the latter is true, but looking at it again I can see how what I typed could be misconstrued. It's another prime example of why I'm better in the science/math classes instead of English. :lol:

I know pretty much all of the teachers at my school and vice versa. However, this year I really haven't met the new teachers. He's new to 10th grade. I've seen him in the hall. I think he vaguely knows I'm a sub, but he has a whole school of teachers to learn/remember - most not in his subject area, so I doubt he knows my name. And then, IF he knows my name, I'm doubting he has put two and two together to figure out ____ is my son. There are others in the school district who share our last name, but aren't related.

I try to let my guy have his own life in school and not be a super helicopter teacher/mom. That said, all the other teachers he has know. It's not that big of a school and they've been there longer than this teacher has. His classmates know too.

I'm thinking this teacher took it upon himself to e-mail each parent here at the midpoint of the semester. This is not a requirement. Teachers only have to contact the parents of students who are doing poorly in their classes - and not just mid-semester - but throughout the time until the student improves. Personally, I find it a nice touch that he would e-mail those of us whose students are doing well too. It makes me think he cares. Kids love this teacher. If he keeps this up plenty of parents will too (moreso than any "generic" teacher their kids get good grades from). I like having the feedback from his perspective and I shared the e-mail with ___ letting him know that his actions are being noticed and appreciated.

I try to let my guy have his own life in school and not be a super helicopter teacher/mom. That said, all the other teachers he has know. It's not that big of a school and they've been there longer than this teacher has. His classmates know too.

Grin.. My mom was the principal's secretary. She knew every move I made, but it wasn't from my teachers. It was my friends!!! The teachers were very careful to only tell me things. But my mom was a favorite among the students. So she would hear if I was tardy, if I made the highest grade on the test, or if I got in trouble for talking. She knew all.

Christine

Grin.. My mom was the principal's secretary. She knew every move I made, but it wasn't from my teachers. It was my friends!!! The teachers were very careful to only tell me things. But my mom was a favorite among the students. So she would hear if I was tardy, if I made the highest grade on the test, or if I got in trouble for talking. She knew all.

Christine

My parents were teachers and they knew everything I did and every grade I got. It was due to their talk with my teachers though. It really bugged me that they would know my grades before I did. It's also why I try to keep my school life separate from his. He appreciates it and enjoys telling me his grades and about his classes himself. He's also learning more responsibility - just as he should be at this age.

I'm thinking this teacher took it upon himself to e-mail each parent here at the midpoint of the semester. This is not a requirement. Teachers only have to contact the parents of students who are doing poorly in their classes - and not just mid-semester - but throughout the time until the student improves. Personally, I find it a nice touch that he would e-mail those of us whose students are doing well too. It makes me think he cares. Kids love this teacher. If he keeps this up plenty of parents will too (moreso than any "generic" teacher their kids get good grades from). I like having the feedback from his perspective and I shared the e-mail with ___ letting him know that his actions are being noticed and appreciated.

That's pretty neat and he sounds like a great teacher.

Your kid also sounds like a great kid, but I'm sure you know that :D

That's pretty neat and he sounds like a great teacher.

I agree! I hope we keep him and his ideas spread.

Your kid also sounds like a great kid, but I'm sure you know that :D

I agree here too, but I might be a wee bit biased. ;) Overall, I'm VERY glad he's getting outside kudos as this is my guy who has lived in middle son's academic shadow his whole life and had serious issues with that. Somehow, what mom and dad say don't really matter at this age, but when someone else gives honest praise, it goes a long way.

I'll admit to going out of my way (in class) to praise a few "good" kids privately today - letting them know I appreciated their behavior and willingness to work. (Doing so privately stops them from being bullied by the masses.)