Menu

Dog trainers--advice needed please

We've adopted a stray---or rather a stray has adopted us. Let me be upfront and say while this is a cute cuddly dog, I already have 2 dogs and am really not wanting a 3rd. Our local shelter is full to the max and our city animal shelter is not a no-kill shelter and they too are full. We've done all the lost dog routine and he's been with us almost 2 months. If there were a humane way to pass this dog on to a diff owner, I would do it ASAP

He is a young dog prob over 6 months and under a year. He looks like one of our bichons did at his age but has a stubby tail and is much more prone to the "chase" Maybe some terrier?

Anyway, my immed problem is that he has started growling and becoming possessive at times. Once was when he was lying next to me and my dtr tried to pick him up. Another time was when the dog was aleep, my dh woke him up to take him to his crate.

He growls and acts like he might bite. He hasn't yet. If he does ,he will be off to the shelter and will have to take his chances. I can't keep a dog that bites.

What can I do to help him stop the aggressive behavior?

If the shelter is a no-kill shelter, you shouldn't feel bad. Even if it is - if you think you will take him eventually, take him now. The older he gets with you, the harder it will be for the shelter to adopt him out- so the sooner the better.

There are lots of opinions on this, and I'm no expert, but here's mine:

Stop it. Now.

Correct him every single time he even looks like he might growl.

I also don't let my dogs on the couch or the bed. There is a heirarchy here, and they are at the bottom.

Another thing that helped with a prev. dog we had was to have my ds (who was targeted for the growling) walk her on a leash. I was with them, of course, but he was the one the dog saw as 'in control'. And I mercilessly (ok well, no beating ;) ) reprimanded her whenever she growled, no matter why she was doing it.

I don't consider myself a 'positive' trainer though... I treat my dogs with tons of love and respect, but I expect the same in return. Their toys are MINE, their beds are MINE etc etc etc.

Totally agree with The dog Whisperer. Not so crazy about trying to treat train dogs out of aggression... again, that's just me.

If the shelter is a no-kill shelter, you shouldn't feel bad.

It is a shelter that performs euthanasia , and their "keep" timeis very short because they are so very full.

The humane society has no room at all. And a waiting list.

Unless he keeps the aggressive behavior up, we will probably keep him until we find a home for him.