Menu

Good readaloud for 6yo boy?

WeeBeaks

My second son is very very different from my first. Pretty much all the books my oldest liked at this age, my youngest doesn't. He just doesn't seem to like readalouds much at all, despite listening to them his whole life of course in his house. Occasionally he will be glad to hear one, but usually not.

So my question - what is a favorite in your house, chapter book or at least a longer, multiday, read-aloud that your 6yo likes?

He isn't liking Island of the Blue Dolphins, but then that is mainly for my 9yo. Dad is reading A Wrinkle in Time, and DS #2 doesn't like that either. Last readaloud of Justin Morgan had a Horse was so-so. My Father's Dragon was "okay." Pooh is a no-go, even on audio, which the rest of the family enjoyed (good voices). He is not interested in Charlotte's Web aside from the movie. Family Under the Bridge he had no interest in. A Hundred Dresses he really disliked. We tried some nonfiction, dinos, If you Traveled West in a Covered Wagon and so forth without much success either. I was thinking it was just fiction he didn't care for.

Ideas?

Is he understanding? My eldest didn't care for read-alouds because he wasn't visualizing the story (and thus not comprehending). After he started to picture things in his head (we used Visualizing and Verbalizing, but Idea Chain has a similar product out) it was like the light had been turned on.

Saint George and the Dragon might be an in-between step. It has great pictures but could be broken into different readings (lots of text). All my kids love that book.

My middle son didn't like read-alouds until very recently because he is very visual and has a hard time visualizing the story when it is read-aloud. (FWIW, I'm STILL that way. I have the hardest time focusing on audio books.) He is now reading well, and it helps tremendously when he sits on my lap and follows the text while I read. He always wants my finger pointing to where I am.

I'll recommend Little Pear, because it seems to appeal to young boys and has some pictures.

Is he understanding? My eldest didn't care for read-alouds because he wasn't visualizing the story (and thus not comprehending). After he started to picture things in his head (we used Visualizing and Verbalizing, but Idea Chain has a similar product out) it was like the light had been turned on.

Saint George and the Dragon might be an in-between step. It has great pictures but could be broken into different readings (lots of text). All my kids love that book.

I'm wondering. We are using WWE 1, and he can get about half the questions most of the time, sometimes more and sometimes less. So he is not as strong as his brother was in the comprehension and recall, but he is understanding at least to some degree on passages the same level as he is hearing in readalouds for the most part.

Thanks for the recommendation though. Maybe I should try it and see if it makes a difference.

I have a lot of the recommendations around but haven't tried them with him yet. Thanks so much for the memory jog on those. DS did love Little Pear and the sequel, so we have those. We have some Dahl, but I can't recall which ones.

We have Narnia but haven't tried it because I feared an even longer book would scare him off. LOL But he has seen the movie so maybe that would be a transition book for him. I wonder. He would know the plot so maybe would like it more because it was familiar, yet the book of course is much richer in story and detail.

Osborne we have, but might save it for next year as ancients is up again.

Off to look at the The Enormous Egg. I haven't read that one.

Early read aloud hits in our house included Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Roald Dahl... Two short, shorts that I think are great early read alouds are Tashi by Anne Feinberg and The Jamie and Angus Stories by Anne Fine. Huh... those names are alike. I never noticed.

Oh, and Nim's Island. And she's homeschooled!