Menu

AR Level ~5.8+ for an 8yo third grader

What books would you recommend? Any that you would steer clear of? http://www.elkin.k12.nc.us/ees/ARLevel5Level.htm

Is there anything in these books that you wouldn't want your 8 yo to read about?

Freaky Friday

Katie John

The House Without a Christmas Tree

Addie Across the Prairie

Turn Homeward, Hannalee

A Wrinkle in Time

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

My Side of the Mountain (I have read this, but it's been ages!)

We already have quite a few Jean Fritz books. Is there anything else you'd recommend for someone studying American History?

From the list, I'd add

Black Stallion Returns

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

Justin Morgan Had a Horse

My Side of the Mountain

DD has read and enjoyed all of these.

As far as American History, there is a mystery by Carol Marsh about the Constitution, George vs George, The greatest American speeches, and Seaman's journal : on the trail with Lewis and Clark are some of the one's DD has read recently. Some are below her reading level, but information is good and she really enjoyed them.

Can't wait to hear what others have to add!

The list looks great.

FWIW, the most important thing I look for (and try to avoid) in dd7's reading material is inappropriate content. I pre-read as much as I can before letting her loose. I don't always catch everything, but dd knows to come to me if there's anything in her reading material that she knows she should not be reading. I've had to learn to let go of reading levels. She will not shy away from seemingly challenging reading material (think Narnia, Little Women, adult non-fiction), but at this point I'm mostly focused on preserving the love of reading. Currently she's been engrossed in our read aloud of Pride and Prejudice, which dd11 and I are reading together.