Menu

From LC2 to Henle

Well, we're just about there! In about 2 weeks, we shall complete Latina Christiana 2, and begin Henle - yahoo! :hurray:

So, a question for your folks who have already done this - do you use the Memoria Press guides - and if so, have you found they move at a good pace?

Or, have you used anything else to supplement and expand the programme? I'd like to do more with Lingua Angelica - we have learned many of the hymns, but not much of the actual translations as such.

Any hints, tips, or suggestions?

Linda.

How old are your dc? The MP guides are set at good pace for 5th-7th graders (roughly ages 10-12 in the US), but might be too slow for older students. HTH!

Hi Drew - yep, they're aged 12, 14, 15 & 16 - my 16 year old has some learning problems, meaning a slower pace is just right for her. We'll try out the guides, and see how we go!

Linda.

The reason it is just right for us is that the teacher is excellent and brings out depth that I missed in LC1 & 2.

And I want the girls to finish the Year 1 Henle book but not miss out on any other subjects and thus a slower pace for Henle (via the Memoria Press guides) means that we can keep Latin as a subject and still keep a full subject list for high school.

There is so much review in the first two units of Henle (that is as far as we went now) that I assume someone could go much faster - but the slower route works for us.

My goal for Latin is a thorough understanding and a firm base for studying other languages. I do want the girls to read some of the classics in Latin - but that is secondary to Latin being a "thinking skills class" along with grammar and an assist for learning other languages.

HTH,

Lisaj

Hsing K (Prima), gr 2 (LC 1), gr 5 (LC 2), gr 8 & 10 (Henle 1 at a co op)

Another vote for the MP guide. My 7th gr. dd is using this, and she is doing very well with it. I have never heard her complain about it being confusing, too fast, etc. That is a huge thing with her.

The pace of the MP guide really facilitates learning by taking a gentle approach, offering plenty of time to allow grammar concepts and vocabulary to sink in.