Menu

Singapore Math plus (miquon, cle, or mm) For First Grade???

LadyBelle

I got MM geometry to go with Singapore 2 a&b for my first grader. We have not touched it. I will get it out if we need a break, but SM is plenty to keep is busy. We will be lucky if we finish both text/workbooks/IPs and the CWP this year, an we are moving fast! I decoded to get LOF Apples to read together instead. I thought some life application would be better and he loved the bit we read online.

You don't need anything else of you do the whole SM program.

I agree, if you're using the whole program (including IP and CWP), you shouldn't need anything else all the time. You could use the C-rods with it (I'm doing that with Singapore EM K right now), making it a bit more Miquonesque, and reading the Miquon materials wouldn't be a bad idea for you as a teacher (First Grade Diary, etc.).

What is your reason for thinking you need another program? If you haven't started, I'd just use Singapore for a while and see IF you even have time to add anything else, and then if you do, see whether your child actually needs something else.

There are times that some people use MM to explain a topic differently than Singapore (because the child isn't getting it). Some people use CLE for spiral review (though IP/CWP can be done a little bit behind and give you more review... and CLE is a very FULL program, so you'd likely need to cut out a lot of problems from it). I'd just start out with plain old Singapore though, especially with a first grader. Reevaluate after a few months or so.

Miquon.

Why? Because Miquon provides children the "hands-on" concrete type learning that Singapore says is an important part of the "concrete>pictorial>abstract" progression of learning, but which it (Singapore) largely fails to build into the program. So a serious deficiency is overcome.

Miquon also provides a child with an opportunity for "discovery based" learning, where the child is encouraged to engage in problem solving from the outset. So they are active participants in learning rather than having math be a purly passive subject.

The means in Miquon are very "developmental" (and I would start well before First Grade) but also mathematically deep.

Unlike Singapore, where the mathematical laws are generally taught "implicitly", Miquon (especially via the teachers recourses) teaches math axioms explicitly, and in ways that are easy for children to understand.

The Teachers books are amazing. They helped me find my own teaching style (after reading the First Grade Diary—a book I would re-name the "First Year Diary", as it is a great guide to Pre-K or K learning) and the Lab Sheet Annotations book is an on-going resource for me.

Any time we we are going to hit a new topic in Singapore I pull out the "Annotations" book and read the topical information there. The information there adds immeasurably to what I bring to the table when teaching the topic with Singapore.

What Miquon adds is a deeper understanding of the "math" and at the same time making the means more comprehensible to young minds. That is a neat trick.

Bill

Miquon.

[snip]

Bill

:iagree: (And I'm a fan of CLE because my kids need the spiral review & CLE does a good job helping explain math for those types of kids.)

Having dd#3 start with Miquon-inspired math has been awesome in our house.

If you are going to supplement Singapore in 1st, I'd do it with Miquon.