Menu

Can you tell me about GWG 1 and FLL 1?

BlessedMom

I switched from FLL to GWG this year and it was the right decision for us, a hard decision, but the right one. I think both programs are great.

FLL drilled and drilled and drilled too much IMHO. My DS was bored with it. He is also a "workbook" kind of guy. GWG gives that too him without drilling too much. It's easy to follow and easy to teach. It's a program that will allow him to "teach" himself when he gets older. Of course, I will still be right by his side making sure he understands the "what's" and "why's".

I feel like I am rambling, so I will end with this...I like GWG and will continue working through all of the levels with both of my boys.

Just to add my 2 cents worth: I agree with Brittany about the drill in FLL. Way too much for us. The other thing that didn't work in our house are the scripted lessons in FLL. I'm using GWG 1/2 with my first grader and it is a much better fit for him. He likes the workbook. It seems to have just the right amount of writing for him. I just have added in copywork on opposite days and it seems to be working out great for him.

FLL has gone well for us, but we are only 30 lessons in. I have skipped some of the repetative drills, once she understands we move on. My dd has enjoyed memorizing the poems and the stories for narration are well placed. All in all it's a very gentle introduction. We have like the fact that it's mostly oral and take 5 min or less to complete. I have no experience with GWG, so I can't help you there!

Each child is so different regarding which works best for them. For us, my dd never enjoyed FLL. She's been that way with anything scripted. OPGTR also didn't work for us. That's not to say, though, that they haven't worked wonderfully for the right children.

I agree with all that Brittney said. GWG has worked beautifully here as well. The lessons have just enough repetition to solidify the point but not so much that it gets old. We like the workbook aspect too. Dd enjoys the lessons and can do a lot of the work independently. It's not so much that she gets overwhelmed. In fact, we started this later on in the year, and, since we are finished with all but this and math, she has been doing several lessons a day to complete the first grade section.

I will admit that I purchased Shurley this year to look into it. I saw a friend's book and got a little panicked because it seemed so much more involved than GWG. I have now calmed down :001_smile: and concluded that GWG is not too remedial considering children really don't have to start formal grammar until later elementary anyway. However, I am thinking of adding some of the things from Shurley that I do like--parsing, jingles, vocabulary. That being said, GWG is complete and doesn't need anything added to it. I just figure I should get my moneys' worth out of the used Shurley set I purchased. :D I believe that diagramming begins in GWG 3.